Chain guide

paul876
paul876 Posts: 7
edited December 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys.
I am in no way a mtb guru so dont have much of an idea on all this.

Recently bought a raceface nw 32t and a hope bash.
Since i dont have a clutch deariler i need to fit a chainguide.
I dont have iscg mounts on my frame so i need to use a iscg mount. My question is can i use the guide and bash at the same time. Will be fitted on a shimano xt triple crankset, external bb and hollow tech II. Is all this correct?? If not can someone give me some advice?

Thanks guyz

Comments

• Also what type of guide do i need. So many options
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why do you think you need a chainguide? I have narrow wide and no damper on the mech and never lost a chain.

Some guides will fit with a bash, some won't.

If you have a bash you could fit an inner guide ring if you want and that would keep the chain on even without a narrow wide.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Try it without, see how you get on. I ran a NW chainring and had very few issues with dropped chains. It did drop though, if rarely. Ive now popped a light "band-on" style chain guide on to eliminate drops. It's 40odd grams which is neither here nor there. If an ISCG won't fit around your bash guard, then would fitting a band on to your seat tube work? Failing that, surely there must be an integrated bashguard/chainring device out there to do both jobs from the ISCG mounts in one package.
  • YellaBelly wrote:
    Try it without, see how you get on. I ran a NW chainring and had very few issues with dropped chains. It did drop though, if rarely. Ive now popped a light "band-on" style chain guide on to eliminate drops. It's 40odd grams which is neither here nor there. If an ISCG won't fit around your bash guard, then would fitting a band on to your seat tube work? Failing that, surely there must be an integrated bashguard/chainring device out there to do both jobs from the ISCG mounts in one package.
    m

Ok will try it without a guide and see what happens.Yeah ive had a look round and I can buy intergrated bash and guide if I end up needing one.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Why do you think you need a chainguide? I have narrow wide and no damper on the mech and never lost a chain.

Some guides will fit with a bash, some won't.

If you have a bash you could fit an inner guide ring if you want and that would keep the chain on even without a narrow wide.

One of my mates did the same conversion and dropped the chain quite a few times on rock gardens and drops. Got a chain guide and not a single dropped chain. Was thinking i should go ahead and get one but will hold off untill i know for sure. Thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Dog fang's can also be used to tip an internal derail back on, my daughter used one and a bash when she was running 1x with a plain chain ring
    https://www.evanscycles.com/deda-dog-fa ... esvg_98668
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You most probably won't need one. I had a NW ring without a clutch mech for a year and didn't drop a chain once.
  • Thanks for all the help guys. Will try the nw with bash and see how i go from there. :lol:
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    You most probably won't need one. I had a NW ring without a clutch mech for a year and didn't drop a chain once.

Same here never dropped chain since I started to use one.

I can't say I have needed to use the clutch on my rear derailleur either as sometimes I've forgotten to switch it on after removing my rear wheel.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1 you'll be fine without a guide

If you do want one then Superstar do a cheap seattube mounted guide.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer