Cube Attain GTC SL Disc (2016) Sizing Help

WuMyster
WuMyster Posts: 60
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
Cannot for the life of me find multiple sizes of this in stores to test so my only option is to buy online. I've read Cube sizes are a bit conservative so does a 58cm frame sound right for 5 foot 11 1/2 (6 foot on a good day)?

TIA

Comments

• What bike do you currently ride? Look up the geometry of your existing frame (assuming it fits OK), and compare to the Cube geometry tables...
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Cycling buddy has a 56 with a 10cm stem, he is 6 foot exactly and it fits him well. He tried the 58 and said whilst he would be OK on either, the 56 just felt better for him.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • I'm 5'7" with short (28" inside) legs. I've bought the 53cm and it fits me pretty well. I may end up getting a slightly longer stem but need to do a few more miles to be sure.
  • What bike do you currently ride? Look up the geometry of your existing frame (assuming it fits OK), and compare to the Cube geometry tables...

Unfortunately this will be my first road bike....
  • bbrap wrote:
    Cycling buddy has a 56 with a 10cm stem, he is 6 foot exactly and it fits him well. He tried the 58 and said whilst he would be OK on either, the 56 just felt better for him.

A lot of people telling me to go with 56 so think I'll go with this. Thanks.
  • bbrap wrote:

Thanks for this. Will go for 56cm I think. Most people recommending that.
  • Not to confuse but I have a 2016 Attain GTC Race and im just a nudge over 6 foot and mines a 58cm. The 56 was definitely a little small, the 58 is bang on with the stock stem.

Only way to find out for sure is to find somewhere to go sit on both sizes and make the judgement yourself.
  • neilhannam wrote:
    Not to confuse but I have a 2016 Attain GTC Race and im just a nudge over 6 foot and mines a 58cm. The 56 was definitely a little small, the 58 is bang on with the stock stem.

Only way to find out for sure is to find somewhere to go sit on both sizes and make the judgement yourself.

Wow. I was about to put in an order for 56cm then see your post pop up in my inbox.

Frustrating because there are only two stockists for the 2016 model. Cycle surgery don't have any stores that stock both sizes; only one. I called my local ones and they will charge me the full amount for test riding and I will get a refund in a weeks time. Don't want £1.3k out of my bank for no good reason.

Rutland cycling have multiple sizes but they are way too far for me.....
  • As above, i'm 183cm (6ft also), and my "normal", size of 56 would be way too small in the Cube. Cube 58 is much more like my 56 Scott Foil and Addict.
  • As above, i'm 183cm (6ft also), and my "normal", size of 56 would be way too small in the Cube. Cube 58 is much more like my 56 Scott Foil and Addict.

I've actually gone ahead and ordered the 58cm. Some people recommending 56cm, some 58cm. Hoping you're right that even the 2016 line is still smaller than other brands as I've read the 2016 sizes were made to be somewhat "normal".
  • jal2217
    jal2217 Posts: 7
    Does anyone with a size 58 know the length of the stem? I'm trying to decide between a 58 and 60 and won't have an opportunity for a test ride. I'm 6 ft 0.5 inches, but have long legs and a shorter ready for my height.

Thanks, Jason
  • WuMyster
    jal2217 wrote:
    Does anyone with a size 58 know the length of the stem? I'm trying to decide between a 58 and 60 and won't have an opportunity for a test ride. I'm 6 ft 0.5 inches, but have long legs and a shorter ready for my height.

Thanks, Jason

I can measure mine for you but I won't be with my bike until Saturday.
  • jal2217
    No worries. I went ahead and ordered the 58. Seems like most people that are around 6 ft tall are happy with a 58.
  • WuMyster
    jal2217 wrote:
    No worries. I went ahead and ordered the 58. Seems like most people that are around 6 ft tall are happy with a 58.

Yeah I'm a hair under 6 foot and very happy with my 58cm. I could fit a 60cm but 58cm is definitely more comfortable for me.
  • jal2217
    Did you test ride the 60? The reach is only 4 mm longer, but it is 2 cm taller, seems like such a huge frame. Are you riding the 58 with a lot of spacers under the stem?
  • WuMyster
    jal2217 wrote:
    Did you test ride the 60? The reach is only 4 mm longer, but it is 2 cm taller, seems like such a huge frame. Are you riding the 58 with a lot of spacers under the stem?

So I tested the 56cm and 58cm in store. 58cm was clearly better for me.

Later on I came across a 60cm belonging to someone in my club and it was pretty fine but theirs was a slammed stem.

I am riding the 58cm with 2 out of the 4 spacers atm. Would go lower but no time to chop off the stem so it would mess up my phone mount.