Inbred has mutated in to a Whippet!

demelitia
demelitia Posts: 59
edited March 2017 in Your mountain bikes
Its been a long time coming, but I finally managed to get a second hand Whippet frame to switch all my parts over on to. Needing a 16" frame has meant its taken way longer than i would have preferred but hey ho.
I've liked having the inbred frame, not being worried about it standing up to abuse has been nice but its time to move on...
IMG_4177_24_11_16_11_09.jpg
IMG_4273_24_11_16_11_09.jpg
Its currently got my Avid bb7's on (great brakes for mechanicals) but after a moment of weakness, and severe pain for the debit card I have some XTR M9000 Race brakes getting delivered tomorrow hopefully.
Fitting the rear brake was a bit of a pain due to the swapout putting the caliper inside the chainstay. It requiring me filing down the cable clamp bolt and a bit of creative faffing with the adjustment to get it to where the bolt didn't make contact with the frame.
IMG_4228_24_11_16_11_09.jpg
IMG_4227_24_11_16_11_09.jpg

Even though they will probably be taken off over the weekend (i have plans for them...) i'm glad i got them sorted as its meant I've had chance to get 30 minutes on it this evening. First impressions: I really like it.
Crappy bathroom scales tells me its 10.2 kg, new brakes might get it to 10 dead. We shall see!

Frame: On One Whippet 16" (2nd hand)
Forks: Rockshox SID RCT3 2016 solo air 9mm
Bars: Easton Haven Carbon
Stem: Kore Cubix
Headset: Lifeline integrated carbon
Grips: Esi Chunky
Bar Ends: Clarks(?)

Front Brake Lever assy: Avid SD7
Front Caliper: Avid BB7
Front disc: Home Mono Mini 180mm
Rear Brake Lever assy: Avid SD7
Rear Caliper: Avid BB7
Rear Disc: Home Mono Mini 160mm

(soon to be XTR Race)

Shifters: Sram X0
Rear Mech: Sram x7

Seat: Selle Italia C2
Seat Post: USE Alien Carbon Cyclops (USE seatpost shim)
Seat Post Clamp: Hope QR

Cranks: Raceface Ride XC (2nd hand)
Chainring(s): Blackspire Snaggletooth Narrow-wide 36t
Chain: KMC X9
Cassette: Sram PG990 (2nd hand, as new)
Pedals: Aest Titanium axle Ebay Cheapies

Front Wheel:
Rim: Stans Alpine
Spokes: Sapim D-light
Hub: Novatec D771
Tube: Continental Supersonic
Tire: Maxxis Advantage Folding 2.25

Back Wheel:
Rim: Stans Alpine
Spokes: Sapim D-light
Hub: Novatec D772
Tube:Continental Supersonic
Tire: Maxxis Advantage Folding 2.25

Weight: 10.2kg with pedals and bell :lol: (should be less with the new brakes...hopefully)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nice effort, I do like nicely specced lightweight bikes (My Niota FS is a fraction under your 10.2), the XTR will easily lose you another 150g an end putting you under 10Kg, in fact looking at your spec I'd suggest you'll be close to 9.5Kg and there are a few obvious weight losses in there as well, so maybe 9.25ish would be viable if you wanted. (Tubeless and lighter tyres being the obvious ones).

I'm also running Alpine rims and they've proved great even though I'm way over the 75Kg nominal weight limit (by nearly 20Kg when fully ready to ride at a guess), I also have a SID and the Hope seatpost clamp as well (after my lighter weight one snapped at Cannock, Hope was all Swinnertons had).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks, no complaints about the rims from me either. They've put up with quite a lot. I'm not a heavy rider but I've definitely made them earn their keep.
    As far as tyres go, I've got some Conti X-King Racesport 2.2" that I use when the weather dries up, I don't trust them in the mud though. They actually come up slightly lighter than stated if I remember correctly. The maxxis rubber isn't 'too' heavy really though, the extra grip during winter more than makes up for any extra weight.
    I've not attempted tubeless yet, it's my only decent bike and after reading how much of a pain people have had trying to get those conti sidewalls to seal I'm a bit reluctant to possibly not have anything to ride whilst they're sat in the garage getting flipped over every day for weeks. The extra cost of tubeless ready tyres isn't something I want to fork out for right now.
    The tubes I've got in now are Conti supersonics, pretty light as far as tubes go.

I've got hold of late 2000's Kinesis maxlight XC frame that's currently waiting for me to give it a respray. It came with a nice sram 10 speed mech so I'll be going 1 x 10 with it. Going to stick a rigid carbon fork on it and the biggest tyres I can fit between the chain stays then use it as a bit of a hack/hoon about the woods on bike with stuff from my parts boxes. When that's up and running it'll maybe give me chance to look at a tubeless setup.
    Now I just need some time to do all that and get out on this one. :(
  • The Rookie
    Most folding bead tyres will go straight up on those rims, I use standard Schwalbe liteskin tyres (Ralph, Ron and Nic) on mine, Stans tape and valves and a coke bottle ghetto compressor. Try it, it's easy really.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • It's not the sealing to the rims that worries me, I have access to large compressors and such. Apparently the Racesport sidewalls are prone to lots of pinhole leaks that take long enough to seal (if they ever do) that some people have just given up and got other tyres. I might be being over cautious but like I say, if it doesn't work, I'm stuck with no bike until I get it sorted :(
    I've just spotted a set of Stans flow rims on hope hubs on eBay that might get bought for the hack bike thingy. I'll try tubeless on them first I reckon as I'll need to get some tyres anyway. It's less critical that I get it right first time then, not that I see myself cocking it up!
  • XTR's are on. It was my first time shortening hydraulic hoses. As well as shortening them I had to switch the levers around as they came from CRC the 'wrong' way around. I'd hoped to get away with not bleeding them after switching well enough to let me get a ride in on them but there's a bit too much travel in the rear lever for my liking so I'll be doing that first.
    A quick jump on the crappy bathroom scales tells me I'm now at 9.9kg with it. :D
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    demelitia wrote:
    It's not the sealing to the rims that worries me, I have access to large compressors and such. Apparently the Racesport sidewalls are prone to lots of pinhole leaks that take long enough to seal (if they ever do) that some people have just given up and got other tyres. I might be being over cautious but like I say, if it doesn't work, I'm stuck with no bike until I get it sorted :(
    I've just spotted a set of Stans flow rims on hope hubs on eBay that might get bought for the hack bike thingy. I'll try tubeless on them first I reckon as I'll need to get some tyres anyway. It's less critical that I get it right first time then, not that I see myself cocking it up!

Racesports are a nightmare to tubeless, you're right they do have pinholes (lower TPI carcass to save weight) meaning the sealant isnt only trying to seal the rim but also the tyre as a whole.

I moved to Protection variants, little heavier but spot on for tubeless (thoroughly recommended and I think it breaks even in terms of overall weight but with less flat tyre issues!
  • Nice build mate , the on one frames are nice. I had a inbred a few years ago and loved it but the whippet looks much nicer
  • The Rookie
    I use lightskin, inflate off teh bike, hold the tyre flat and 'swirl' the sealant round, flip and repeat, you may need to do it a few times but it does work out just fine. Even the TLR from Schwalbe do it.
  • I'll maybe have a crack over Christmas whilst i'm off work then. Got the chance to be in the garage in between stuffing my face offsetting all the weight i've cut off the bike. :D
  • IMG_4780.md.jpg

Conti x-king racesports back on.
    That's with guards, cage, chainstay protector and computer on. Happy with that.
    Think I'm going to switch to a 36t Chainring though, finding myself spinning more than I'd like and the granny gear looks like it's been covered up whilst I've been riding it's so clean.
  • demelitia
    demelitia Posts: 59
    IMG_4997.md.jpg

Swapped the Easton Haven bars for USE Rip Carbon flat bars and the Hope rotors for Quaxar Axim floating rotors. The new bars are very nice; Beautifully made. I really like the change in position they've caused. Should get to test the new bits this weekend.

IMG_5007.md.jpg