Rockshox OneLoc removal

carms28
carms28 Posts: 27
edited November 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
This has been talked about alot but it is very confusing!

I have Rockshox Sektor Gold RL Folks which came with this annoying OneLoc system attached to it, I never use it and is just clutter which I want to remove.

From my understanding I can not just remove the cable and the top cap and run my folk in the "open" position. Is this right or Is there a cheap way around this? Is there a video or step by step instructions on how to remove this thing or is it something my LBS will do quick and easily?

I have read that I might be able to remove the current motion control damper and replace it with a SID RT3, Is this correct and is this an expensive job?

Thanks
Rich

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Removing the damper and fitting another from a 32mm fork (like the SID) is very easy, but the dampers aren't cheap, £70 upwards - or get a used fork off eBay, swap the dampers and sell on the mongrel!

If you just remove the remote the damper loses its adjustment, you need to remove it and remove the return Spring, it's not that difficult and you'll find 'how to' videos on YouTube.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the response. 70 quid is alot to effectively remove a feature from the suspension. Option 2 sounds like the way to go.

If I was to remove the remote and cable and didn't remove the return spring what wud happen? Would it just remain in the open position all the time and have no adjustment? Because at the moment my folk is either locked out or not locked out and all I really want is not locked out and get rid of the lock out feature and related clutter.

Thanks
  • The Rookie
    If you just remove the remote it will be open, if you remove the return Spring you can adjust the damper by twisting the top, at least on most the dampers you can.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Appreciate the advice. Think I will do that. Don't think it's worth the money to by a RT3 Sid. Not sure if the different settings it offers will have much on an effect on the folks and my riding really.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If it's like the old poploc system you can disconnect the cable, take out the damper, unhook the return spring and replace the damper. If the knob turns too freely then put an o ring under the knob. Then open a beer and admire your handy work.
  • Hmmm sorry guys :oops: just realised it's not called OneLoc the one I have is called PushLoc....my bad :? Does this changes things? Or does the does the same apply to them all?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    PushLoc forks usually work in reverse - with the cable removed, the fork is locked. However it is stil lcontrolled by a spring in the damper in the same place which can be removed.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    No need to remove the spring, just unhook it
  • carms28
    carms28 Posts: 27
    edited November 2016
    Ok mint will give that a go then.

Found this link below as well, has a step by step so hopefully this is still good to use. Have a real fear of taking stuff out of the fork though, will I need to replace any lost oil after removing it? If so what type is it?

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspensio ... 65239.html
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Fork, not folk.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ha thanks for that. Grammarical error amended
  • The Rookie
    If you remove the damper most the way and allow it to drain before removing it completely you won't lose a meaningful amount of oil.