Please help me compare these 3 bikes

tcon123
tcon123 Posts: 3
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello,

I was wondering what you all think of these 3 bikes. The first one is about $150 less. The last two are the same price. Thank you very much.

Brand: DEVINCI
Model: 2015 Tosca S
VERSATILITY ON WHEELS

Tosca’s impressive history was built on the back of real-world R&D, and includes a Cyclocross World Championship. Designed and assembled in Canada, the Cyclocross series features optimum R3 aluminum tubing technology for enhanced rigidity, stability, and maximum control. High performance geometry makes this a great choice for cyclocross race fanatics. Its versatility however, with features such as eyelets for easy rack installation, makes it a true multipurpose machine.

Technical specifications

FRAME

Aluminum Optimum R03
FORK
Devinci Carbon
HEADSET
FSA No23/CC Integrated
FRONT RIM
Jalco ATB220
FRONT HUB
Formula Road
REAR RIM
Jalco ATB220
REAR HUB
Formula Road
SPOKES
Stainless 14G w/Nylok
TIRES
Schwalbe Rapid Rob KevlarGuard 700x35c
REAR WHEEL
Jalco ATB220 / Formula / Stainless w/Nylok
FRONT BRAKE
Tektro Oryx 992A
REAR BRAKE
Tektro Oryx 992A
REAR DERAILLEUR
Shimano Sora 3500
FRONT DERAILLEUR
Shimano Sora 3503
FRONT SHIFTER
Shimano Sora 3503
REAR SHIFTER
Shimano Sora 3500
CRANKSET
FSA Vero PowerDrive 50/39/30T
BOTTOM BRACKET
FSA PowerDrive
CASSETTE
Shimano 9s 11-30T
CHAIN
Shimano 9s
HANDLEBAR
V2 Comp, Road alloy 31.8mm
STEM
V2 Comp 31.8mm
SADDLE
V2 Select
SEATPOST
V2 Comp 31.6mm
SEAT CLAMP
Alloy 34.9mm
HANDLEBAR TAPE
Super soft
WEIGHT
10.64 kg / 23.41 lbs

Brand: Rocky Mountain
Model: 2016 SOLO CX
A disc-brake cyclocross bike for rugged, unpredictable conditions.
- Wheel Size: 700c
- Brakes: Disc
- Intended Use: Cyclocross

SPECIFICATION

Frame: Rocky Mountain 6061 SL Series Custom Hydroformed Alloy. 1-1/8" ZeroStack Headtube. Rack and Fender Mounts.
Sizes: S - M - L - XL - XXL
Fork: Rocky Mountain CX Cromo Disc With Rack Mounts
Headset: FSA #10P Internal ZS44 Top - Bottom
Stem: Rocky Mountain L7 7° x 90-130mm
Handlebar: Rocky Mountain RD Ø31.8mm x 400-440mm
Grips: Rocky Mountain Gel Bar Tape
Brakes: Hayes CX-5 Disc Brake 160mm
Brake Levers: Shimano Tiagra / Tektro RL721 Top Mount
Shifters: Shimano Tiagra STI 10spd
Front Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra 34.9mm 10spd
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra 10spd
Cranks & Chainrings: FSA Omega EXO 170-175mm 48/34T 10spd
Bottom Bracket: FSA Mega EXO
Cassette: Shimano Tiagra 12-30T 10spd
Chain: Tiagra 10spd
Front Hub: Shimano RM35 Disc
Rear Hub: Shimano RM35 Disc
Spokes: Stainless
Rims: Wheeltech TD26 by Alex Rims
Tires: Maxxis Excel Overdrive 700x35c
Seatpost: Rocky Mountain L2B 31.6mm
Saddle: WTB Volt

Felt V100
Finish:

Gloss Battle Grey (Black, Fluoro Red)
Sizes:
43, 45, 51, 54, 56, 58, 61cm
Weight:
n/a
Frame:
Felt Adventure Road Disc FLite Custom Butted aluminum, Hydroform TIG-welded construction, threaded BB, replaceable rear derailleur hanger, IS disc mount
Shock:
n/a
Fork:
Felt Adventure Road Disc UHC Advanced carbon fiber blades w/ IS mount disc tabs, ControlTaper 1.125" - 1.5" aluminum steer tube
Headset:
FSA NO.38/42B-CUP, 1.125" - 1.5" sealed bearing w/ Felt VariableHeight Cone Spacers (20mm PC, 4.5mm aluminum), 1x 10mm + 2 x 5mm PC headset spacers, Felt top cap & aluminum bolt
Stem:
Felt VariableAngle, +/- 8°/16° rise, Ø31.8mm 43 - 45cm = 80mm 51 - 54cm = 90mm 56 - 58cm = 100mm 61cm = 110mm
Handlebar:
Felt CXR SuperLite, 86mm reach, 130mm drop, Ø31.8mm 43 - 51cm = 420 / 450mm 54cm = 440 / 470mm 56 - 61cm = 460 / 490mm
Grips:
Felt CxGel Tape
Bar Ends:
Felt Bubble-Tech "F Wing"
Shifters:
Shimano Claris
Front Derailleur:
Shimano Claris clamp-on, Ø31.8mm
Rear Derailleur:
Shimano Claris short cage
Crankset:
FSA Tempo 43 - 45cm = 165mm 51cm = 170mm 54 - 56cm = 172.5mm 58 - 61cm = 175mm
Chainwheel
FSA 50/34T
Chainguide:
n/a
Bottom Bracket:
FSA Square Tapered, 68 x 110.5mm
Pedals:
Felt Trekking/Urban Pedal Body, Polished aluminum, PP cage and TPE tread, Cr-Mo axle
Chain:
KMC 8-speed
Freewheel:
Shimano 8-speed,11-32T
Brake Levers:
Shimano Claris w/ Tektro top mount levers
Brakes:
Front Brake: Tektro Mira w/ 160mm 6-bolt rotor/Rear Brake: Tektro Mira w/ 140mm 6-bolt rotor
Cables:
Felt Slick compressionless brake & derailleur
Saddle:
Selle Royal Look IN Athletic
Seat Post:
Felt SuperLite Road, Ø27.2mm, 330mm length
Seat Post Clamp:
Felt single bolt, Ø31.8mm
Rims:
Felt Road RSL4 Disc (Tubeless Ready), 17mm Width, 22mm Depth
Front Hub:
Felt R4 Disc, sealed bearing, 32H
Rear Hub:
Felt R4 Disc, sealed bearing, 32H, 8-speed
Spokes:
2.0mm stainless steel
Tires:
Vittoria Zaffiro, 700c x 32c
Fenders:
n/a
Kickstand:
n/a
Accessories:
Touch-up paint

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    If you want replies can I make a couple of suggestions?
    1. Delete all the copy and paste data from the post. It's not very readable in that format and makes readers have to search just to figure out what the 3 bikes are. Replace it with the names of the 3 bikes and a link to the websites where you found that data.
    2. Tell us what you actually want it for. What's your experience? Will you be racing cyclocross? Plan to us it for commuting? General purpose bike? Why have you narrowed it down to these 3?
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    One other thing... buy the one that fits, failing that the one you like the look of...
    Spending ages analysing which has the best spec, the best groupset, wheels etc is largely pointless if the frame doesn't fit. It also assumes that every frame is identical in performance, which is clearly not the case.
  • Buy a yellow one.
    I've had green, orange, blue, silver, red, white and black but never a yellow bike; So buy a yellow one and report back on how it looks.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    So buy a yellow one and report back on how it looks.

It will probably look 'yellow'.. ;)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What do you want the bike for anyway ? Its impossible to choose without us knowing the kind of riding you do, the mileages, the roads etc etc.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Don't bother. get an allez.
  • http://www.bicyclesmcw.com/en/product/2 ... inci-tosca

http://www.bicyclesmcw.com/en/product/2015-felt-v100

http://www.bicyclesmcw.com/en/product/2 ... in-solo-cx

I just plan on using it mostly on the street. A bit of trail but that trail is made of crushed rock. So it is pretty stable.
    Hope this helps.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Briefly then

Not the first - never heard of it and you'd not need a triple ?

Rocky Mountain - 48-34 and 12-30 10 speed with discs and Tiagra shifters and can take guards.

Felt 50-34 and 11/32 8 speed with discs and Claris shifters

I'd go for the Rocky Mountain - better shifters and more ratios there too and will take full guards.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I'd probably go for the Rocky Mountain although the Tosca looks okay too.
    None of these is a dedicated road bike. They're more gravel/cyclocross types which is not a bad choice given what you have in mind. I rode a Specialized Tricross for several years before buying a dedicated road bike. It's similar to these, and it never held me back.
    A couple of considerations that might help:

The hierarchy of Shimano groupsets in ascending order is:
    Claris > Sora > Tiagra > 105 > Ultegra > DuraAce

So the Felt groupset, while it will work fine, is fairly basic and only gives you 8 rear sprockets. That means you'll have bigger gaps between gears. Most people like closely spaced gears to allow you get a comfortable cadence no matter your speed.
    The Tosca has a Sora groupset which is reasonable. It's the 3500 series which I believe was replaced this year and so is a 9 speed set rather than 10 speed. Still, 9 speeds is perfectly good, especially as this is a triple so the extra chainring gives you more flexibility on gearing. Many people don't like triples - I think they're well suited for all-purpose bikes and I've used one on numerous adventure races, sportives, duathlons and a couple of triathlons. They're a tiny bit heavier than a double but it's not a big deal on a bike like this. I think the 3500 Sora has a thumb shifter lever for changing down the rear gears. I don't like them. Or maybe that was the previous version of Sora and this one has gotten rid of it. I'd check if it was me.
    The Rocky Mountain has a 10 speed Tiagra group. Easily the best of the 3 groupsets. The only thing that wouldn't appeal to me is the 48/34 chainrings. I'd like a 50 for decending and sprinting but most of the time it won't matter at all and you could replace the 48 with a 50 later for a reasonable price if it bothered you - it probably won't.

I don't know any of the frames. There's unlikely to be anything wrong with the Felt frame. They're a very reputable brand. I don't know anything about the other two but it's unlikely there's much wrong with them providing you make sure they'll fit.
    I haven't looked at wheels/tyres/saddles etc. These are important but not nearly as important as fit, frame and groupset and they are all typically inexpensive as sold and can be changed easily if you want to upgrade later. Saddles and tyres in particular are well worth changing if the stock items don't suit you. your use, experience and personal preference will dictate what you'll want.