Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Road Bike for Commuting - Pref 2nd Hand

WuMysterWuMyster Posts: 60
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
I posted here recently with a budget of around £1500 but work informed me that I will not be able to store my bike inside (new place of work) so does anyone have any recommendations on sites and bikes to look at 2nd hand? Will be locked outside so not wanting to spend my initial budget of £1500 now.

My only requirement is hydraulic disc brakes but internal cabling would be a plus just to reduce cable rust.
I know I should put in a budget but I don't really know what's suitable for something to be locked up outside.

TIA

Posts

  • Jerry185Jerry185 Posts: 143
    Depends where you live. Certain parts of the UK, a £1500 bike with disc brakes will be gone in seconds. Along with the metal bracket is was chained to. Personally, I wouldn't want to leave such a bike out in the weather either
  • Jerry185 wrote:
    Depends where you live. Certain parts of the UK, a £1500 bike with disc brakes will be gone in seconds. Along with the metal bracket is was chained to. Personally, I wouldn't want to leave such a bike out in the weather either

    Yeah precisely why I've scrapped the budget of £1500 since I can't store it on work. Looking for something cheaper.
  • arlowoodarlowood Posts: 2,538
    Keep your eye on the classified section on this site

    Just one example that would fit your criteria but may not be the right size. Spesh Secteur for £250

    viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13072861

    3 x 9 speed with mudguards already fitted.
  • fenixfenix Posts: 5,437
    How far are you riding it ? What mileage each day ? Hydraulic discs rules out the vast majority of bikes - are they really needed ?
  • Fenix wrote:
    How far are you riding it ? What mileage each day ? Hydraulic discs rules out the vast majority of bikes - are they really needed ?

    20 miles a day but sometimes further as I have to cycle to other places around central London.

    Hydraulics aren't essential I suppose. I could do with mechanical discs.
  • Fenix wrote:

    Looks good for me if it's god discs. Is there an option?
  • fenixfenix Posts: 5,437
    I dont think there is sadly - but its a good bike - I've been happy with rim brakes for all my riding - I've no inclination to change to discs.
  • Fenix wrote:
    I dont think there is sadly - but its a good bike - I've been happy with rim brakes for all my riding - I've no inclination to change to discs.

    Unfortunately after using discs for the past few years, I will never move back to rims. Especially when you can't predict what will happen in central London traffic.
  • Do you need drop bars? Must be hundreds of hydro hybrid bikes out there. Boardmans etc.

    I use a hybrid for my 7.5mile commute, fine to lock up anywhere. I'd like discs!
  • Garry HGarry H Posts: 6,639
    Buy a Brompton, it fits inside a bag. Smuggle it into work.
Sign In or Register to comment.