Which bike to get for Black Friday?!

KhanDoAttitude
KhanDoAttitude Posts: 3
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
Hey guys,

New to this forum, name’s Ammaar (I’m from Birmingham). By day, I work at a (sort of) local post office, by night I dress up as a bat and fight crime…I wish…

Anyway, with Black Friday coming up (and the surprisingly timely death of my mountain bike), I’m looking for a more robust Road Bike.

My requirements:

• Needs to be able to handle around 15 miles a day (I cycle to and from gym/work daily)
• Dropbar Handles
• Needs to be a solid build, I don’t mind spending a bit of £££ but I want my bike to last!
• Weight isn’t too much of a turn off, but the lower the better

Previously, I bought some generic mountain bike from Halfords. Can’t even begin to tell you how many problems I faced. After a while, it felt like I was spending more time on repairs than actually riding it…

My mate recommended his bike which is http://www.rouxbikes.co.uk/vercors-c9/ (doesn’t seem too bad, £500 off)

I trust his recommendation, but I’m also looking at other things such as:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-Syna ... _83225.htm (I’ve heard a lot about cannondale cycles plus it’s £300 off)

I’ve also heard a good amount of positives about “Specialized” cycles too

Can anyone tell me if I’m “steering” in the right direction?

PS, need to know ASAP as black Friday deals will probably end soon

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Of those I'd probably go for the Synapse disc. Just make sure you get the right size, and if you are between sizes, choose the smaller one
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Never heard of those Roux bikes. Am sure there will be someone on here who can give you some feedback.

The Cannondale is a solid choice as stated above.

To my mind these Cubes seem about the best deal around at the moment for a grand. Disc brakes or non-disc - the choice is yours.
    http://www.rutlandcycling.com/advanceds ... level=0.32

Above all though, try to get something that fits. Go into some shops and sit on/ride a few bikes to find out what's comfortable. Don't be carried away with money off deals and end up with something that doesn't suit you.
  • Don't get too hung up on the black friday deals, they're not really much better than a lot of the clearance sales/deals around generally. The Cubes in the post above look really decent deals, I would look seriously at those

In answer to your original post:

The Cannondale will be a more comfortable ride than the Roux but a bit heavier

It has disc brakes too which is a better option. It also comes with pedals which the Roux probably does not

The rest of the specification are fairly similar other than the Roux is a carbon frame where the Cannondale is aluminium (it does have carbon forks though which will take some of the bumps out)

Yes, Specialized are generally pretty decent
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    MrB123 wrote:

To my mind these Cubes seem about the best deal around at the moment for a grand. Disc brakes or non-disc - the choice is yours.
    http://www.rutlandcycling.com/advanceds ... level=0.32

Above all though, try to get something that fits. Go into some shops and sit on/ride a few bikes to find out what's comfortable. Don't be carried away with money off deals and end up with something that doesn't suit you.

Went out today with a cycling buddy for his 1st ride on his new Cube Attain pro disc from Rutland. Seems like stonking value for money and he is well chuffed with it. Some of the roads in Suffolk are shot to bits and he was really pleased with the smooth ride. He was even happy with the supplied saddle which is a miracle as he is usually quite fussy about his perch. If you can live with the colour scheme it is an excellent choice.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • Thank you for your suggestions guys,

Just had the chance to take a look at these comments (was knackered from gym, ate and went straight to sleep after).

Anyway, the Cube seems like a good shout!

I'm going to see if they have all of these bikes at Evans Cycles so I can go for a test ride (which would probably be the smartest idea).

My mate said I can borrow his ROUX for a day so that's sorted, going to be using that tomorrow then going on the weekend and seeing if Evans have the Cube and Cannondale...

Will keep you all updated :)
  • The Attain Disc - a carbon frame with hydro discs for less than a grand?! No brainer.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/320630/pr ... -grey.aspx

I was looking at these around this time last year, but the stock took so long to reach the UK I went with something else - even at full price these were excellent value.
  • I'd be more tempted by the non disc Attain...poorer brakes but everything else is Ultegra!