endurance bike advice under 2k euros

archimonde
archimonde Posts: 11
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello,

I'm looking for a road bike. I'm looking carbon and min. tiagra groupset bikes. My budget is about 2k euros but I live in Turkey. So, the prices are different from other countries.

Here is my current options:

- new 2016 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Tiagra (about 1800 euros)
- used (about 400km usage) 2011 Cannondale Synapse Ultegra (1550 euros)
- used (about 500km usage) 2017 Canyon Endurace C.F. 7.0. 105 groupset + Campagnolo Scirocco 35mm wheelset (1550 euros)

I can't decide which one should I pick or should I look for something else. Also, Synapse Ultegra has some scratches on the frame but they are too small and not deep. Here is a picture:

362048934doy.jpg

I'm 183cm tall and inseam length is 84cm (I will measure it tonight again). Both Synapse models are 56cm, Canyon is M size. According to Canyon's web site M is OK for me but not sure about that.

Any advices?

Thanks,

Comments

• Hi again,

I've re-measured my inseam length. It is 87cm.
  • archimonde wrote:
    Hi again,

Is this a quiz?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    archimonde wrote:
    Hi again,

So your legs have grown 3cm in a day?
  • No, I've measured wrong before. I corrected :/.

BTW, There is another option:

- used 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Ultegra (About 1500 euros)

Any advice?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    If this is your first road bike, why not consider something used and cheaper. In the UK, £300 will get you a decent bike with Tiagra. Spending another £1000 won't make you much faster despite all the words the marketing department come up with. Bikes don't have to be made of carbon to be good and comfortable.

Buy bike, ride it, see what works for you.
  • Yes, this will be my first road bike but not first bike. Currently I have a city bike, Scott Sub 20.

So, you are suggesting me instead of buying one of these I should consider cheaper ones. I've made a quick search. Here is the options:

- used Scott CR1 (under 900 euros)
    - new Giant Composite 3 (1000 euros)
    - used BTWIN Alur 700 (700 euros)

Cheaper models are really old and worse models and there are a few endurance bikes (or not too much aggressive) for sale. If buying one of these instead of roubaix is a better choice, I will consider.

Thanks,
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    My advise really is to spend the money, there is a huge difference between a UK £300 and a UK £1500 bike, especially in the new bike range.

Your planned riding is the key factor, are you planning on riding regularly, long distance, road rides through all weathers?
    I've said this before on other forums, but if I was only going to have the one bike, a "do it all bike", I would have a steel framed, hydraulic disk "adventure bike" that can fit 28 through to 25c tyres. I'd also be looking for one with a 1x Chain Set. Would have to be able to take full guards.

I would build a frame up, but as your new to road bikes, you may want to look at something like a Genesis Equilibrium 30 Disc or a Genesis Croix Der Fer. At a later date you could then make the usual changes, wheels and chainset (when the stock ones wear out)

We are all different in our riding, but for me I'd have a bike that was good on the road, good on forest trails and rubbish roads.

In terms of your choice, the Canyon for me offers the better deal, already 11 speed with 11 speed wheels - future proofed yourself in that department. 2011 Ultegra is old now, while still likely to be perfectly functional, I would say that new 105 would be a slight improvement.
  • My planned riding is not always long distance rides. Will ride long distances on weekends. Other days short distances and velodrome rides.

I'm not sure about the "do it all bike" thing. I currently have a city bike for long tours. For shorter tours and long distance rides I'm planning to use new bike. So I think the endurance style fits best for me. Maybe, like you said, cyclo-cross can be a better choice but sometimes I want speed :).

Also you said that Canyon is better but what about the Roubaix? It has 6800 Ultegra and for the same price. It is used for 5000 kms. Seems like a good deal.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    For some reason I've never been a fan of Spec. I've never ridden the Roubaix so can't comment on how it rides. However the reviews for it are good, the 2015 comes with the zerts damping and the weird looking seatpost which gives additional shock absorbing. I'm pretty confident it will be a very good bike and if it is the correct fit and in good enough condition, it appears to be a good buy. (Spec are absolutely fine, we all just have our likes and dislikes and Spec have never done it for me)

Of what you list my personal preference would be the Canyon, UK price new is £1600 with Ultegra for the Endurace CF 7.0 SL. When I changed the country to Turkey the price appeared as US $1619 incl shipping, appears to be 1,530 Euro. Is that not the better option? If this was the case, I'd even look at the 9.0 with the better wheels, weighs in at only 7kgs.

Within the UK and some of Europe riding in the velodrome is restricted to fixed wheel bikes. But either the Canyon or the Spec will be very good bikes. I guess I'm just getting old and my views of buying a bike are hydraulic disc, nice wide supple tyres and a comfortable frame.

I recently purchased a Trek Domane with Hydraulic Brakes and the ability to take full guards and 32c tyres. Cycling nirvana!
  • I started with a Cannondale CAAD8, but found the geometry a little too extreme for me and every bump in the road came up the seatpost. That led to some pretty uncomfortable rides. I switched to a Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4 and it's been a revelation. Much more comfortable, the frame is amazing and evens out the knackered tarmac round here and it feels faster than the CAAD8. I love it.
  • archimonde
    archimonde Posts: 11
    edited November 2016
    @Thick Mike,

Thank you for the comment. I think I also will like the Roubaix's comfort.

@w00dster,

I've checked the Canyon again. The price is without shipping. If I add a bike to the cart, it adds $235 for shipping. Also there is custom tax which is about %20. So the total price of a Endurace C.F. 7.0 SL is $1619 + $235 + TAX ($320) = $2100 ~ €2000 which is quite expensive than the Roubaix but not that much better, I think.

BTW, I looked for the Domane but its prices are higher than my range. So, I skipped :/. The bike is very good though.

I will see the Roubaix tomorrow and will decide.
  • Ok, today I saw the bike and ride it a little. I really liked it. I'm planning to buy it 2 days later. Thanks for the comments again.

Now, it's time to think about which pump and which bike computer should I buy :)