Low limit screw

Ubonade66
Ubonade66 Posts: 10
edited November 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
As its my first visit I think it would be good manners and say hello.
Hello!
I have a question about the limit screws,I have searched but can't find anything. AFter installing a new chain and front inner gear cable, I adjusted the limit screws but on the lower limit screw the screw is all the way in and I would like to adjust it say another quarter turn but it's all the way in. Is there a way to reset the limit screw so I can turn it easier in both directions?
Hope the post makes sense

Regards

Comments

• Well the only solution would be a longer screw. It's not putting tension on a spring or anything, it's directly preventing the mech from moving further. Then again, the screw is as long as it's supposed to be.
    First check if the cable tension is right. Then it's probably down to bent hanger or mech. Or simply an old mech that's going to need replacing soon.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    edited November 2016
    Have you released all the tension on the cable? Any adjustment should be done without tension, cable is only tensioned after limit screws set, make sure adjuster at shifter is fully backed off......sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it worked before there should be no need to make more than a minor adjustment to the limit screws when changing a cable. The chain makes no difference. Once adjusted correctly they don't need any more adjustment. Read Parktools and make sure you are adjusting everything correctly. Did you fiddle with anything else?
    And ignore most of the previous posts. Front mechs don't fit on hangers, or have B screws.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    ...I got here a couple of years ago and went to 1*9 as the easy way out!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Sorry for the delay in replying,been out on My bike :D
    I think I done everything the correct way, loose cable tension etc and its a fairly new mech. I have got a 1-2 mm gap from the Chain to the inner chain plate but the screw is fully wound in.as I just said have been out for a ride and the gear changing seems to be spot on, so I will leave it at that...

Many thanks for taking the time to reply

ขอบคุณครับ :)