S Works tarmac or Giant TCR advanced

teebs_123
teebs_123 Posts: 357
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
Looking at replacing my Emonda Sl8 in the Spring for a new frameset, the Giant is £1299, S-Works Sl5 Tarmac is £2800....is the S Works worth more than double the Giant?

Ta
Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
Kinesis 4s Di2

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Not in terms of speed. It's not twice as fast or twice as nice.
  • cougie wrote:
    Not in terms of speed. It's not twice as fast or twice as nice.

Thanks, I can also get circa £200 in reward points through Pedalon, making the Giant frameset just over £1k.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I had a giant TCR - nice bike. Mate has the S Works - another nice bike. With the 1600 saved you could spend it on a few trips to the Alps or something - to me that's much more fun.
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    Hi, what's the reason you're upgrading the Emonda SL frameset?

Only curious as I've one myself.
  • Elfed wrote:

Not particular reason, just fancy a change. It'll be all down to the geometry fitting me though - the Trek fits like a glove, so it'll need to match that
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Elfed wrote:

Not particular reason, just fancy a change. It'll be all down to the geometry fitting me though - the Trek fits like a glove, so it'll need to match that
    What about the SLR version of the Emonda?
  • Checked out both frames over the weekend at Sigma Sport and Pedalon (both amazing shops, very good customer service and not pushy in any way).

Whilst the S Works was very very nice, I think I'd struggle to get a good fit, so I think I'll head towards a Giant TCR with Dura Ace & Giant carbon wheels. Total build will be around £2k less than the Specialized.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2