chain dropping off

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited November 2016 in Workshop
Hi
I have a Planet x London road with sram rival 11speed.
A week or so ago I renewed the chain , only the second time I have changed a chain!
The problem I have is when on the front chain ring 54 big ring and 11 smallest gear on rear, on odd occasions when riding down hill , it seems as though the chain is jumping off , luckily I have stopped in time and averted a tangled chain..
Whats going on , how do I fix it ?
thanks
ILG

Comments

• 1/ Did you get an 11spd chain?

2/ Did you shorten it to the same length as the old one?

3/ Is the new joint free or tight?

4/ Did you change the casette? You should have but I'm not sure if not doing would make it jump off, especially in a fairly low pressure scenario like riding down hill.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Front or back?
    May just need indexing, a new cassette or front chain ring for example.
  • Thanks chaps
    yes the chain is 11 speed , its is bouncing of the front big ring mainly when down hill on roughish tarmac=
    Would setting the limiter screw help.
    Thought I had fit the chain to the same length as the previous one , not so sure now and have thrown the old one away.
    Could the chain be to slack ? How can I check this?
    Thanks ILG
    e
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    54x11???

How fast are you going on these hills? It's probably g force taking the chain off.
  • cougie wrote:
    54x11???

How fast are you going on these hills? It's probably g force taking the chain off.
    OK , compact chain set 50 x 34, trying to remove a radiator, paint and sand the bathroom floor while having a cup of tea and a bit of cake and posting this .

Have some pity
    regards :D
    ILG
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Follow the Shimano tech docs as enclosed in with the chain or available online, or have a look at parktool.com, if it's an MTB cassette it's big/big (missing out the rear mech) and overlap by at least one pair of links, if the biggest sprocket is 30 or smaller then it's a vertical mech in the smallest cog.

Could be a worn chainring of course.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Is the front derailleur limit screw set correctly? My chain bounced off the outside of the big ring a few times, hadn't touched it since I bought it as it was changing fine and wasn't rubbing.
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    What kind of chain is it?; in particular is it a directional one, might it be on in the wrong direction? Not sure if that would actually cause this problem or not, but wouldn't help if you had it the wrong way. I guess chain length or worn chainring is more likely.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    ilovegrace wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    54x11???

OK , compact chain set 50 x 34, trying to remove a radiator, paint and sand the bathroom floor while having a cup of tea and a bit of cake and posting this .

Have some pity
    regards :D
    ILG

Hahahahahahahahaha :twisted: