New MTB advice

2»

Comments

• Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    Steve-XcT wrote:
    I'd hire one for your intended use...if you have somewhere local and a CX bike for towpaths if you don't want to risk the roadbike ???

My local prices are £15 for 2 hours (or might be 3)
    but thats a lot of rides for the price of a £300 bike if you went offroad once a week.

If you get hooked you might decide on something completely different.

Just don't do what I did and hire a full-sus ,carbon-fibre mountain bike at Glentress and end-up spending two-thousand pounds on buying the same bike - actually, DO do what I did - I've never regretted buying my Scott Genius MC-10! It's a fantastic bike and I'm glad I bought it!

I did very similar but on a trail bike.... and bought the same used off eBay for £1300 but I was very certain of what I wanted and what size...

When my carbon XC frame was at the carbon doctors :cry: I hired a few bikes... some I'd not want to buy after riding and others I would. Like you no regrets but I use it at least once a week... often twice but even at that it's a lot of rides before the equivalent hire price is paid off .. and they clean the bike after :D

For anyone thinking of a few times over the winter I'd say hire is a good option of you have it locally...
  • I absolutely WOULDN'T buy a full-susser for under, say, £1000 - either the frame will weigh more than the Sun, or all the bits will be rubbish, or both. I wouldn't worry TOO much about buying a bike with 26-inch wheels - they have a (good) few years before they become totally obsolete (at least, I hope they have, or else I'd better start stockpiling tyres for my bike(s)). http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/artic ... 000-29222/ should (hopefully) point you in the right direction...
  • Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    I absolutely WOULDN'T buy a full-susser for under, say, £1000 - either the frame will weigh more than the Sun, or all the bits will be rubbish, or both. I wouldn't worry TOO much about buying a bike with 26-inch wheels - they have a (good) few years before they become totally obsolete (at least, I hope they have, or else I'd better start stockpiling tyres for my bike(s)). http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/artic ... 000-29222/ should (hopefully) point you in the right direction...

Was after some advice, I'm a road cyclist wanting to purchase a cheap and cheerful mtb for winter training - Canal trails and possibly some local hills. I'm 5ft11 and around 90kgs have a reasonable level of fitness with good power in my legs but fairly green to Mountain biking.

For their intended use I can't see why weight would really bother them .. but I can see why wheelsize might (nothing wrong with 26ers but for a roady on a canal trail they are more likely to want the rolling of a bigger wheel.

In fact they could ride a CX bike and just hire a bike if they do the "possibly some local hills".
    If it turns out that this trail malarky is super-fun then they might be considering a completely different bike to buy.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Rockrider 520s full susser is surprisingly good for the cash, at just £380. It is about a kilo heavier than a price equivalent hardtail, but still has a better spec than the majority. OK it isn't meant for very technical trails, geometry is somewhat conservative, but the same can be said for most sub £400 bikes. It does work well though, so if you want a bit of extra grip and control from what rear sus can add, then is worth a shot.

Though for 50 quid more you can get the Laura Trott MTB with 1x11 NX, blt through fork etc.