Brand new Ultegra 6800 STI Lever 'dead'

Nineteen99
Nineteen99 Posts: 8
edited November 2016 in Workshop
Hello all.

Just finished a CAAD12 build with new Ultegra 6800 - but the right side / rear mech STI lever is 'dead.'

It moves but doesn't engage the cable at all. Doesn't click. Doesn't pull or release cable.

The cable and outer are brand new - standard Shimano kit included with the lever.

At first I thought it was binding on the bottom bracket internal routing bracket but when I release the cable and move it back and forth by hand it moves smoothly.

Not much to get wrong with the install of these - any ideas?

Only thing I can think of is I fitted a plastic ferrule at the STI outer exit - it fits fine but the Brake cable does not seem to need one. Could that cause binding?

Any help much appreciated as it's all finished ready to ride except for this!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What happens when you just pull the cable as it exits the side of the shifter wihout any routing - and shift then?

Is the little nipple in place ok?
  • Yes nipple seems seated okay - same as the left side which works ok.

I can't remember if I've tried pulling it from the inside exit hole (where it bends 90D against the plastic guide to exit from the rear) - will try that and report back.
  • Cable doesn't seem jammed.

In other words, it;s not the cable. The ratcheting mechanism or shifter unit itself seems to just not do anything.

Return to shop?
  • Anonymous
    Yep. Generally shimano shifters can't be serviced
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Somebody else on here in the last 48 hours posted about a dead OEM Shimano shifter; turned out a ferrule which had been loose in the packaging had somehow ended up inside the shifter, preventing the ratchet from working.

In your position I'd be going straight back to the supplier for a replacement
  • Just a monumental ball-ache as it's all internally cable-routed with press-fit BB so that's all got to come out.

Cheers all.
  • Anonymous
    Only suggestion would be to take to an LBS and ask if they can take a look to see if it's dead or not? May cost you a tenner or even free if you're lucky?
  • Yeah I might do that. There's a few near me.

Will ride it down there - an expensive singlespeed!
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I've had that when changing cables before - I'd fed the cable through but the shifter was in the wrong position when I started so the little part that grabs the nipple was on the wrong side. That meant that the cable wasn't being pulled when I clicked the shifter.

Unfortunately if it's that then you have to pull the inner all the way out and then feed it through properly.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ooh good thought. I think k dog might have nailed it.
  • k-dog wrote:
    I've had that when changing cables before - I'd fed the cable through but the shifter was in the wrong position when I started so the little part that grabs the nipple was on the wrong side. That meant that the cable wasn't being pulled when I clicked the shifter.

Unfortunately if it's that then you have to pull the inner all the way out and then feed it through properly.

Would make total sense as I had no idea what position it should be in. I'll get on it. What position should the shifter be in...?
  • k-dog wrote:

Sounds like that is it. Cheers buddy!
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I think you want to make it in the small cog position - so click the small lever until you can't any more. When you look inside to put the cable through you should see the little part where the barrel fits in.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.