Slippery blue paint on cycle superhighway

jords
jords Posts: 7
edited January 2017 in Commuting general
I came off my bike this morning on the way to work. It was on CS7 at Stockwell heading into London on the separate cycle lane. A slight touch of the brake and was on the floor. The blue surface there seems even worse than usual and is like ice when wet.

Just last week I had seen someone fall off in front of me at the same place so I was already aware of how bad it is. Has anyone else had a similar incident?

Comments

• jords wrote:
    I came off my bike this morning on the way to work. It was on CS7 at Stockwell heading into London on the separate cycle lane. A slight touch of the brake and was on the floor. The blue surface there seems even worse than usual and is like ice when wet.

Just last week I had seen someone fall off in front of me at the same place so I was already aware of how bad it is. Has anyone else had a similar incident?

Is there a chance that buses pass over? thinking oil/diesel even in trace amounts can reduce grip.
  • jords
    Is there a chance that buses pass over? thinking oil/diesel even in trace amounts can reduce grip.

It was on a section that is separate from the road so no buses/cars pass over it.
  • jords wrote:

It was on a section that is separate from the road so no buses/cars pass over it.

wet tarmac can be slippery enough anyhow, partially with thiner tyres.

I have heard people say its slippery, to be honest unless that section has something unique about it. i've not noted any difference in grip with the blue paint and normal tarmac.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The only issue I see is that contaminants like oil will sit on the surface where with Tarmac it will soak in....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    The only issue I see is that contaminants like oil will sit on the surface where with Tarmac it will soak in....

It does soak in, but as soon as it rains it come back to the surface :(
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    I have a similar problem on CS2. For the most part this CS is completely isolated from the main road. As such it has no camber and the blue paint doesn't get washed with any rainfall. The leaves turn into a mulch that makes it really slippery. I just stay in the road! Less pedestrians stepping out in front of me too.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,145
    Is it algae/moss/slime growing on it in the damp weather?
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Any chance that it was due to some of the slicker black tar that is used to seal between gaps? I went down very close to there in the other direction on CS7 riding over a 1 inch wide strip of the tar in the wet. Whatever the case, I find riding in the wet in London a nightmare these days - so many manhole covers or small holes in the road. Instead of being 100% focused on what is going on around you a fair amount of your attention has to be on the road surface in front of you.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I was down this morning on that segregated part near Stockwell as per the OP. Nothing near me, travelling in a straight line, braked for the red light for cyclists, lost my front wheel, went down like a sack of spuds.
  • drshoe
    drshoe Posts: 27
    I've noticed skidding on the blue paint before, thankfully I didn't have an accident.

That was on a wet day with my summer tyres though, been fine since I changed to 4seasons, not sure what tyres you use?
  • jords
    It looks like it has been happening to quite a few other cyclists:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transpor ... 34586.html