Top 1% of Britons own 24% of nation's assets

Comments

• IIRC correctly, the maximum pot allowed tax free now is nowhere near big enough to buy the benefits that a typical middle/senior manager in a state scheme will enjoy after a full career.

It is £40,000 or 100% of salary in a year can be offset, and a max pot of £1million. That would buy you about a £30,000 annuity rising with inflation.[/quote]

So the maximum pot would buy a 2/3 final salary pension for someone retiring on £50k pa, so middle manager territory?
  • IIRC correctly, the maximum pot allowed tax free now is nowhere near big enough to buy the benefits that a typical middle/senior manager in a state scheme will enjoy after a full career.

It is £40,000 or 100% of salary in a year can be offset, and a max pot of £1million. That would buy you about a £30,000 annuity rising with inflation.

So the maximum pot would buy a 2/3 final salary pension for someone retiring on £50k pa, so middle manager territory?

Just to correct the quoting...

But yes, seems about that. It's not completely ridiculous now, and I wouldn't expect that limit to increase with inflation. 1 million is a nice figure that sounds like it is here to stay.
  • Just to correct the quoting...

But yes, seems about that. It's not completely ridiculous now, and I wouldn't expect that limit to increase with inflation. 1 million is a nice figure that sounds like it is here to stay.

Thanks re quoting!

Whilst a tidy sum, the benefits one can secure off a £1m pot demonstrate that the current tax regime for those making their own provision is hardly a massive "giveaway".
  • I don't understand what you are trying to say - I am reading it as "we should give people a tax break now so that they can pay us tax in the future" you will have to explain what you really mean.

There's a time in the future when I will not be earning money. If I forego some of my earnings now, and agree to lock them away so I can receive them later in life, I don't pay tax on it now, I pay tax when I receive the money. The tax break comes because I would have paid 40% on it now, but probably only pay basic rate when it comes out of the pension. Then I am not relying on the taxpayer to look after me when I can't earn any more, and because the money is somewhere I can't touch it, I can't spend it now on holidays.

The pensions reforms kind of unravel this a bit, as does the tax free lump sum. Also, if you want people to spend more now and let the future worry about itself (which does seem to be current thinking), you don't want to incentivise pension saving.

I want to cap at a rate that makes them non-dependent on the state, after that is up to them if they want to save for their future. I more have DB in my sights - which I would align with DC.
  • Just to correct the quoting...

Thanks re quoting!

Whilst a tidy sum, the benefits one can secure off a £1m pot demonstrate that the current tax regime for those making their own provision is hardly a massive "giveaway".

but it all adds up to circa - £50bn a year. We can not afford to carry on as we are.

Your middle/senior manager on a state sector defined benefit scheme is allowed a £50k pa pension as that is what they calculate his £1m pot at ( yes it makes no sense).

So as Graham suggests you could freeze the £1m for DC and align the DB so tax relief is up to £30k pension.
  • Since this lot took charge the deficit is going up to 90% of GDP and the national debt has more than trebled all the time cutting public services and reducing welfare for the poor and needy, whist the wealthy get ever richer. Wages for ordinary people less in real terms than they were in 2008. No doubt at the next GE the likes of the sun will be telling its readership vote tory cos Corbyn can't be trusted with the purse strings and he don't sing the national anthem.
    Keep a pensioner warm this winter..............Burn a tory!
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Since this lot took charge the deficit is going up to 90% of GDP and the national debt has more than trebled all the time cutting public services and reducing welfare for the poor and needy, whist the wealthy get ever richer. Wages for ordinary people less in real terms than they were in 2008. No doubt at the next GE the likes of the sun will be telling its readership vote tory cos Corbyn can't be trusted with the purse strings and he don't sing the national anthem.

Glad to see you haven't mellowed Frank. :lol:

Still spouting bollox though.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/nov/22/brexit-vote-uk-household-wealth-credit-suisse

I'm not exactly left leaning in my politics but there's something fundamentally wrong
    And they pay 27.5% of the nations tax at the last count so not exactly that far out of whack is it.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/26/nearly-half-of-britons-pay-no-income-tax-as-burden-on-rich-incre/

Some would say there is a strong argument that they pay far too much tax - there is a constant fear that these people could leave due to Britains tax laws. We cannot afford to lose our top talent from the city especially as there has been heavy expenditure in getting such people trained up from their prep schools to their education in top schools such as Eton/Harrow before they percolate at Oxbridge where they cultivate and establish links with the rest of the elite.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    edited November 2016
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Since this lot took charge the deficit is going up to 90% of GDP and the national debt has more than trebled all the time cutting public services and reducing welfare for the poor and needy, whist the wealthy get ever richer. Wages for ordinary people less in real terms than they were in 2008. No doubt at the next GE the likes of the sun will be telling its readership vote tory cos Corbyn can't be trusted with the purse strings and he don't sing the national anthem.

Where is he wrong Bally?
    one of the effects of lower wages has been the rise of tax credits, which is some 30 biilion, meanwhile, the avg pay of a ftse director is 5 million.

HB is 25 billion and rising, building affordable housing (affordable for whom?) is ridiculous as once they are bought, the owners can sell or rent on at market values, down here affordable housing get snapped up by land lords and rented out, what is needed is large scale social housing, it worked perfectly well in the past and it would work again, it was got rid of so the tories could win an election or 2, bad decisions for electoral gain is nothing new for them is it?

Social care cuts have stymied the NHS, i ve seen it with my own mum, kept on a ward, even though we were willing to care for her at home, no community nursing care providers and the only care home available was one that featured in last Mondays Panorama program..... again cuts to providers meant low staffing levels and almost zero control until a newspaper gets involved, why didnt the council spot this, its their money, yet they didnt know what was going on.

Malnutrition hospital admissions triple........ under the Tories.

this country is falling on many levels, yet as frank says, the wealthy just keep getting wealthier and for an intelligent chap like you Bally, i m surprised you can even begin to see it.

ok we can agree that the days of burning anyone has long gone!
  • Ballysmate wrote:

Cheers mate. :D

OK burning a tory is a bit extreme.
    Tail end Charlie

• We might need to burn a few pensioners to keep Tories warm soon - was hearing yesterday that, in real terms, your average pensioner is now better off than working people.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/nov/22/brexit-vote-uk-household-wealth-credit-suisse

I'm not exactly left leaning in my politics but there's something fundamentally wrong
    And they pay 27.5% of the nations tax at the last count so not exactly that far out of whack is it.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/26/nearly-half-of-britons-pay-no-income-tax-as-burden-on-rich-incre/

Any chance you might be one of the 300,00? :wink:

Jumping back a bit, this does rather illustrate W&G's point about the downsides of just jacking up the income tax threshold, although I'm sure many below many below the threshold would welcome the "burden" of earning enough to be in the top 1%.
    That said, the 43% who don't pay income tax will still be paying plenty of VAT, council tax, VED, etc. so it's not quite as unbalanced as it looks.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    That said, the 43% who don't pay income tax will still be paying plenty of VAT, council tax, VED, etc. so it's not quite as unbalanced as it looks.

Agreed. At the end of the day, £1 in tax is £1 in tax. But from what I've read, there is something different psychologically about income tax in that you earn a gross amount and then a chunk of it is taken back, as opposed to the other major types of tax such as VAT and petrol tax, which are "lost" in the purchase price and the purchase is semi-discretionary. Thus paying income tax apparently makes the payers appreciate/realise that it is just "normal" people who pay for everything and that the state doesn't have its own money to spend as it sees fit.
  • mamba80 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Since this lot took charge the deficit is going up to 90% of GDP and the national debt has more than trebled all the time cutting public services and reducing welfare for the poor and needy, whist the wealthy get ever richer. Wages for ordinary people less in real terms than they were in 2008.

Where is he wrong Bally?

Nothing in Frank's quote above is wrong, but he is a tad misleading.

Firstly, the major hit to the economy/living standards happened in 2008/9, when the Tories weren't in power.

Secondly, the Tories inherited a budget deficit of 11% of GDP from Labour, so even a genuine economic and fiscal genius would have struggled to keep the debt as % of GDP much lower than it currently is. No government can just "magic away" an 11% deficit, and as long as the deficit is greater than circa 2-3% of GDP then the debt as a % of GDP will keep growing.

I'd tend to agree with Frank's sentiments about the more extreme cuts, but as a nation, we don't like paying more tax ourselves, so we end up getting what we pay for.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:

Jumping back a bit, this does rather illustrate W&G's point about the downsides of just jacking up the income tax threshold, although I'm sure many below many below the threshold would welcome the "burden" of earning enough to be in the top 1%.
    I make a similar point when people start moaning that big companies 'pay no tax'.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:

As usual we are blighted by poorly written headlines. The top 1% pay 27.5% of income tax. 43% pay no income tax because the lib dems lifted them out of it (up,from 34%).

You are probably right about the more even tax take from the above sources but you exclude stamp duty on shares/land, inheritance and capital gains tax which will be paid exclusively by the rich. Also income tax is so disproportionately big that I doubt that stat will move that much.
  • mamba80 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Since this lot took charge the deficit is going up to 90% of GDP and the national debt has more than trebled all the time cutting public services and reducing welfare for the poor and needy, whist the wealthy get ever richer. Wages for ordinary people less in real terms than they were in 2008.

Where is he wrong Bally?

Firstly, the major hit to the economy/living standards happened in 2008/9, when the Tories weren't in power.

Secondly, the Tories inherited a budget deficit of 11% of GDP from Labour, so even a genuine economic and fiscal genius would have struggled to keep the debt as % of GDP much lower than it currently is. No government can just "magic away" an 11% deficit, and as long as the deficit is greater than circa 2-3% of GDP then the debt as a % of GDP will keep growing.

I'd tend to agree with Frank's sentiments about the more extreme cuts, but as a nation, we don't like paying more tax ourselves, so we end up getting what we pay for.
    The major hit was through having to bail out the banks to save millions of ordinary people from having their livelihoods destroyed. That's a different debate that has been done to death though.
    Tail end Charlie

• mamba80 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Where is he wrong Bally?

The major hit was through having to bail out the banks to save millions of ordinary people from having their livelihoods destroyed. That's a different debate that has been done to death though.

Are you sure about that? There are grey areas but are you sure the major hit to finances was the bank bailout?

Btw - US Govt made a profit.
  • The major hit was through having to bail out the banks to save millions of ordinary people from having their livelihoods destroyed. That's a different debate that has been done to death though.

So why do you want to burn a Tory? That was on Brown and Darling's watch!
  • The major hit was through having to bail out the banks to save millions of ordinary people from having their livelihoods destroyed. That's a different debate that has been done to death though.

I wouldn't, obviously. I don't particularly carry a torch for the Blair administration (Tories with red rosettes).
    Those on here that know my political views know I have a deep seated hatred of tory politics. Some may say totally irrational, but we are all entitled to our opinion.
    Tail end Charlie

I wouldn't, obviously. I don't particularly carry a torch for the Blair administration (Tories with red rosettes).
    Those on here that know my political views know I have a deep seated hatred of tory politics. Some may say totally irrational, but we are all entitled to our opinion.

OK. I guess we're unlikely to agree on political matters, but at least your position is logical.

So which UK political party of the last few decades meets with your approval?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    On this, interesting twitter thread, on the fact that the same set of women are repeatedly profiled over and over again in taboloids to stoke the fire.

https://twitter.com/RossalynWarren/stat ... wsrc%5Etfw
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481

OK. I guess we're unlikely to agree on political matters, but at least your position is logical.

Probably.....

robertlindsay.jpg
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Citizen Smith was obviously a Tory stooge. I can't see Frank getting out of bed for anyone to the right of Trotsky.

An honest answer, a labour party lead by Michael Foot or John Smith..............Corbyn would get my vote tomorrow.
    I now await a torrent of abuse, but I can live with that.
    Tail end Charlie

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

An honest answer, a labour party lead by Michael Foot or John Smith..............Corbyn would get my vote tomorrow.

I would love you to get a chance to vote for him tomorrow. :wink:
  • Ballysmate wrote:

I would love you to get a chance to vote for him tomorrow. :wink:
    I'm sure you would, just so you could re-elect this bunch of total uncaring,selfish bast@rds.
    Tail end Charlie

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    There's a thread for this type of discussion...

BTW Frank, I've already voted for Corbyn :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    WA1372134.jpg

A bit like the simpsons sketch foretelling the trump presidency :shock:
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    There's a thread for this type of discussion...

BTW Frank, I've already voted for Corbyn :D
    I really hope you live to regret it.
    Tail end Charlie