SKS Racebade Pro or Pro XL for Giant Defy 3?

photonic69
photonic69 Posts: 2,416
edited November 2016 in Road general
Dear Forum-ites

Tried to fit my Giant Specific mudguards to my Defy3 frame again over the weekend but now I'm running 25mm Conti GP's I cannot get the clearance I had with the Giant 25mm tyres - which was very very close indeed but workable. Tried slotting out the mounting holes for the caliper bolt, bending, cursing and spitting but no joy. They rub - badly! Fronts are fine. I've had to put the Giant tyre on the back but they are rubbish for grip and punctures. Some people can get this combo to work but I cannot despite being quite a handy soul with the tools.

Two options - cut up rear mudguard and buy some builders stainless steel banding and bodge a fix on the rear. Would cost me about £10 to buy a whole roll I dont need - OR buy a set of SKS RB Pros (£30) and only fit the rear guard. I run 25mm tyres so I know the non XL would just about cover it but the XL is longer/wider. Would that be better on club runs to stop people behind getting splattered? Missed out on Sunday's ride due to non-functioning anti-mud devices

Any suggestions welcome

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Are they the first generation narrow Defy specific mudguards for the pre 2015 D-Fuse frame Aluxx models? Where are you getting the rubbing, under the metal mounting bracket/brake caliper?

One thing to consider is to fit a 5800 105 rear caliper, which has clearance for a 28c tyre (without mudguard), however if you also carried out some judicious filing to the guard mounting bracket, to clear the caliper return spring, you may be able to create more vertical clearance.

I use the first generation Defy specific mudguards with a 23mm wide rim and 28c Panaracer Gravelking tyre and don't have clearance issues on the rear, I did not have to slot/file the guard mounting bracket at all.
  • photonic69
    DJ58 wrote:
    Are they the first generation narrow Defy specific mudguards for the pre 2015 D-Fuse frame Aluxx models? Where are you getting the rubbing, under the metal mounting bracket/brake caliper?

One thing to consider is to fit a 5800 105 rear caliper, which has clearance for a 28c tyre (without mudguard), however if you also carried out some judicious filing to the guard mounting bracket, to clear the caliper return spring, you may be able to create more vertical clearance.

I use the first generation Defy specific mudguards with a 23mm wide rim and 28c Panaracer Gravelking tyre and don't have clearance issues on the rear, I did not have to slot/file the guard mounting bracket at all.

Thanks. Yup these are first gen Defy Specific guards as mine is a 2013 Defy with the screw spigot in the seat tube. As per: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/gear/product/giant.road.fenders/592/54781/

I'm already running 5700 brake set front and rear that I upgraded from the original so don't really want to spend more on those. I tried to get some photos showing the problem but it's hard enough to see it let alone getting a lens in the right position. The Giant 25mm tyres don't rub but the clearance is probably 2-3mm if that. The Conti GP rub for about 40% of the wheel revolution so they have about 1mm clearance at best and 0 to <0 at worse.

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    My Defy is a 2013 model, I have Ultegra 6700 brake calipers and don't have clearance problems with my wheel and tyre combination, I can only think that the Conti GP tyres must come up big, are you using the Giant P-R2 wheels or something else?

The only thing I can suggest is to cut/dremel the vertical mounting tab off the metal mounting bracket and file away the section of the bracket that makes contact with the caliper return spring and cable tie the bracket directly to the seat stay bridge, may give you more room.
  • photonic69
    DJ58 wrote:
    My Defy is a 2013 model, I have Ultegra 6700 brake calipers and don't have clearance problems with my wheel and tyre combination, I can only think that the Conti GP tyres must come up big, are you using the Giant P-R2 wheels or something else?

The only thing I can suggest is to cut/dremel the vertical mounting tab off the metal mounting bracket and file away the section of the bracket that makes contact with the caliper return spring and cable tie the bracket directly to the seat stay bridge, may give you more room.

I believe Conti tyres do come up bigger than stated. I'll try cutting the tab off and cable tying but have a feeling this will be very rattly indeed! Another option I though of is to buy some Aluminium strip such as this: http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-19-5mm-Multi-purpose-Aluminium-Flat-Bar-1000mm/p/188149; cut the guards in half at the mounting point and fashion a bracket from the alu strip that comes over the top of the caliper, angles down and I can rivet the remains of the rear part of the guard to the strip. That way with bending I can change the clearance as required. I'll either ditch the front part of the rear guard or see if i can attached this to the stay bridge either with ties or a Sheldon Brown Fender nut. What ever I do it will be a faff. A bit of a bodge. Almost as expensive as buying SKS Raceblades Pro. :(