2016 Scott Solace vs 2016 Cannondale synapse 105 disc

cannondale79
cannondale79 Posts: 6
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
First Road bike after 4 years of Mountain bike (Cannondale SL4 disc). I want to go to distance 125+ km. Both bikes brand new, full carbon with Shimano 105 group and hydraulic disc brakes. Same price for each bike $1,950, each bike at different bike shops. Size Scott 52 (11/28 50/34) and Cannondale 51 (11/32 50/34). I am 170m and leg length 76cm. Is the Cannondale too small? I like both bikes the offer end in 5 days. My budget $2000. Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• If that was my money and I was buying the bike, I would go for the Scott. The Scott has thru-axles which are much stiffer as opposed to conventional quick-releases and also the BB's on Cannondale's can be prone to creaking - not guaranteed but it's a risk. The Formula / Maddux wheels on the Cannondale are a cost-cutting and also quite heavy so you would need to factor in an upgrade at some point. For me, the Scott is the pinnacle of what bike brands can do with all the new technologies without being too radical.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Dale will fit fine.
    I'm same height , ride a 52cm Supersix and my wife's Synapse 48cm (men's version) is just a tad too small for me. Sat on a 51cm in the shop while buying the wife's and it was perfect for me.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • hucko003 wrote:
    The Scott has thru-axles which are much stiffer as opposed to conventional quick-releases

I'd go for the Cannondale for exactly the same reason. Thru-axles are a complete waste of time in my experience of running both types. And I'm not actually sure I've ever seen any data that TA does make the front fork meaningfully stiffer on a road bike. As another poster has discovered, he now can't use his bike on his turbo because it doesn't accept TA - others will discover they can't use their bike carriers or workstands.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • he now can't use his bike on his turbo because it doesn't accept TA -

Its probably better than crashing and dying though
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As another poster has discovered, he now can't use his bike on his turbo because it doesn't accept TA - others will discover they can't use their bike carriers or workstands.

If only it was possible to buy some kind of adaptor...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kinetic-thru-axles/
  • he now can't use his bike on his turbo because it doesn't accept TA -

Its probably better than crashing and dying though

If only someone had actual data to suggest that anyone had crashed or died due to a QR and that it would have been prevented by using a TA (the singular of "data" isn't "anecdote")
  • Imposter wrote:
    As another poster has discovered, he now can't use his bike on his turbo because it doesn't accept TA - others will discover they can't use their bike carriers or workstands.

If only it was possible to buy some kind of adaptor...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kinetic-thru-axles/

Yeah - so you can spend £30 adapting your turbo (assuming, of course, it's one that can be adapted - there might be one for my Neo now... ETA yes you can at a cool £50), and some more adapting your bike rack, and a bit more adapting your workstand and yet a bit more your bike bag rack.

Or you could just buy the bike with QR and never know you'd saved yourself a load of bother.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Thanks, I will think about it and make the purchase Tuesday, but I did some research for BB30 creaking on a carbon synapse. Wao! found over 20 post for the last year and with 20 different ways on how to fix it. Don't know much about road bikes so I am concerned with the issue of the creaking noise.
  • Thanks, I will think about it and make the purchase Tuesday, but I did some research for BB30 creaking on a carbon synapse. Wao! found over 20 post for the last year and with 20 different ways on how to fix it. Don't know much about road bikes so I am concerned with the issue of the creaking noise.