Cable rub

timbo_tim
timbo_tim Posts: 199
edited November 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Just noticed after one ride I have major cable rub, gone through the powder coating on the fork tops. Not the end of the world as I know these bikes will get marked etc. Problem is, it's rubbing very close to the headset bearing too which the guys i was with said could be a bigger problem.

Is this correct, and given it's a new bike is it something I can take up with the supplier (cycle republic) as the cause looks like the cables are too long? Anyone got experience with CR, or since it's a boardman bike would I be okay going to Halfords to take issue with them?

Thanks
Tim

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Back to who you bought it from. Nothing to do with Halfords.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    ....on the other hand I did go to Halfords on the off chance that they had some helicopter tape. They don't but the guy there sold me an elasticated velcro thing to go round the headset tube and that stopped the damage to the frame straight away. I was quite impressed.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish wrote:
    ....on the other hand I did go to Halfords on the off chance that they had some helicopter tape. They don't but the guy there sold me an elasticated velcro thing to go round the headset tube and that stopped the damage to the frame straight away. I was quite impressed.
    That "" elasticated velcro thing"" is a very bad idea !!

i know it seems like its protecting your headset but in fact its not. all they do is keep any muck or water trapped in and that can do some major damage.

i know then as Lizard Skins Headset Cover, their is loads of brands all doing them and they are all the same

i only use one on my chain stay when i ride BUT i do take it off before i wash my bike every time.

i would contact the place you got the bike from, and apart from that helitape your frame where its needed on all major contact points.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    I too had the exact same issue on my Voodoo from Halfords. Im not very experienced with MTB hydraulics etc and didnt want to go down the shortening cables route. I taped the lower part of headtube with elec tape to protect paint and used cable ties, does job great. I am not concerned with the bike looking pristine, I know the ties could be nipped a bit, I just want it to function ok so was happy with the result.
    112df9j.jpg
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • Very pleasantly surprised by cyclerepublic who are happy to look at bike and re route cables for me, will touch up forks and will heli tape the headset and forks for me. Can't beat that for customer service, especially since it was bought online and could be regarded as a "home build". Thanks for the input all
  • kirkee wrote:
    I too had the exact same issue on my Voodoo from Halfords. Im not very experienced with MTB hydraulics etc and didnt want to go down the shortening cables route. I taped the lower part of headtube with elec tape to protect paint and used cable ties, does job great. I am not concerned with the bike looking pristine, I know the ties could be nipped a bit, I just want it to function ok so was happy with the result.
    112df9j.jpg

Could've at least used Black zip ties :lol: