10 sp Tiagra, spacers, Hope hubs

andy9964
andy9964 Posts: 930
edited November 2016 in Workshop
I'm having a real problem indexing my RD.
Inner and outer limits are fine, but the chain is jumping a gear anywhere between 2nd and 5th depending how I tweak the cable tension. I fitted new cables yesterday, and removed both mechs to give them a good degrease and lube.
I noticed the problem a little while ago, so I fitted new chain and cassette as they had around 2000 miles of use, but this hasn't solved it
Drivetrain consists of 4600 shifters, 4700 compact chainset, 4600 F+R mechs, 4700 cassette and 10sp KMC chain (these are both new with around 250 miles on them, rear mech and chainset have around 2000 miles, everything else is original with around 5500 miles) And brand new, unridden cables

The wheels have Hope Pro Evo 2 hubs, and came with a spacer which the supplied info said to fit, so I did. I've since read that 10 speed Tiagra cassettes don't need the spacer
Is removing the spacer the key to this, or am I missing something in the set up skills department

Cheers

Comments

• hdow
    hdow Posts: 184
    Did you fit new outer cables as well? They don't last forever and wear causes the cable to drag resulting in unpredictable changing especially when cable tension is released
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Hmmm, no I didn't. I'll try that when/if the rain stops.
    Cheers
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Check the alignment of the mech hanger as well.

If it's an 11 speed hub it needed a spacer.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.