Dura Ace 9001 ony 9 clicks? SOLVED!!!

munzy
munzy Posts: 111
edited November 2016 in Workshop
Brand new 9001 shifters and the rear one only has 9 clicks instead of 10 - when the cable is attached to the rear mech will not shift up to the biggest size cog on the cassette.

I have checked:

- rear mech limit screws good, can move it on to all 11 cogs by hand when no cable attached
- cable run is clear
- have taken out cable and re-seated
- pulled on cable by hand whilst shifting up and down on lever
- even with cable completely removed from lever I only get 9 clicks

These are a warranty replacement and having to send these back will be a pain & £££ - is there anything I am missing?

Comments

• Are you sure the click that goes to the smallest sprocket is the last click?
    left the forum March 2023
  • munzy
    Yes, have clicked the small lever (B) way more that 10 times to check that, both with no cable and when putting tension on the cable :(
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    Clutching at straws, but is it worth double checking that the cable is routed correctly in the shifter? It's possible for the cable to exit where it shouldn't, and the ratchet doesn't engage properly.
  • munzy
    Mother ******!!!
    They came packaged as OEM - in two bubble bags. In each were the cable ferrules. The front shifter bag also had a silver cable end cap - all just floating about in the bubble bag.

The rear shifter had the ferrules but no silver end cap - I had a passing though that it would be a disaster if in transit it had got into the lever...

And.....

Out with the torch and sure enough the end cap was inside the lever stopping the ratchet giving me 10 clicks!!!

After much swearing and using the end of a cable it came out and all normal - what a faff!!!

Thanks for the replies and help though guys :)