What's your opinions in the Crank Bros Speedier Lever?

bungle73
bungle73 Posts: 758
edited December 2016 in Workshop
Would it get a very tight (and I mean VERY tight) tyre wheel combination on and off. I have tremendous trouble doing it with my bike, the tyres are so tight. Spent an age trying to fix a puncture last night. I did buy myself this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1 , which makes getting the tyres back on a hell of a lot easier, but they are still a total pain to get off, and it's a bit too big to take on a ride unless I have a bag with me.

I came across the Crank Bros thing last night, and thought that might be the answer? I mainly want it for punctures when I'm out tbh.

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    The Crank Bros lever isn't that small, (your fist goes through the loop bit), however it does work pretty well.

I prefer Pedros tyre levers when out on the road.
  • bungle73
    Flasher wrote:
    The Crank Bros lever isn't that small, (your fist goes through the loop bit), however it does work pretty well.

I prefer Pedros tyre levers when out on the road.
    It will fit in a saddlebag though won't it?

Normal tyre levers won't cut it, that's why I need something else.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Bungle73 wrote:
    It will fit in a saddlebag though won't it?

Normal tyre levers won't cut it, that's why I need something else.

Depends on the size of your saddle bag, wouldn't fit in mine.

Tbh. the hook part of the Crank Bros tool isn't much bigger than the Pedros levers, you just have more to grip onto.
  • bungle73
    It's a small Topeak Aero Wedge.

The Crank Bros has a different way of getting the tyre on though. Normal levers are no good.
  • bungle73
    Well, I bought one, and I've just tried it out. The bad news is that the tyre is far too tight to get off with just that, so I had to resort to using 3 normal tyre levers. At some points it was bending so much I feared it might snap!

The good news is, I tried the other bit for putting the tyre back on, and it worked, pretty much, as advertised! Even with this very tight tyre!

I shall be taking it on all my rides now, just in case. Just a shame that I'm going to need both that and tyre levers. I was hoping to be able to just take the Speedier Lever.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Change the tyres? What are the current ones?
  • bungle73
    964Cup wrote:
    Change the tyres? What are the current ones?
    Comti Ultra Sport II.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    When putting tyre on and taking them off, I always make sure the opposite side to where I am starting is located in the 'valley' in the centre part of the rim. Might need tyre levers to get them off, but always get them on by hand.
    Half man, Half bike
  • I have found the VAR Lever to be the best option with tight tyre wheel combinations. Think you can still buy them.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    The VAR lever is great for getting tyres on - especially tubeless - but the 'regular' lever bit on the end of it is a bit weak so be careful not to snap it off.

But for getting a tyre on it's great - and small too.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/var-tyre-levers/
  • bungle73
    g00se wrote:
    The VAR lever is great for getting tyres on - especially tubeless - but the 'regular' lever bit on the end of it is a bit weak so be careful not to snap it off.

But for getting a tyre on it's great - and small too.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/var-tyre-levers/

I tried looking for videos of that to see how it worked, but I couldn't find any. How is it better than the Speedier Lever? Is it better?
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    The main thing was the size - but I was looking at the other longer Crank Bros lever (the one that extends to the hub). The VAR looks similar in size to the - it'll fit in a pocket, but not as small as regular levers. The VAR would by hooking onto one side of the rim, then having a 'barb' to pull the tyre up and over on the other side.
  • bungle73
    Ridgerider wrote:
    When putting tyre on and taking them off, I always make sure the opposite side to where I am starting is located in the 'valley' in the centre part of the rim. Might need tyre levers to get them off, but always get them on by hand.

I tried putting both sides into the valley dealing with a puncture last week, and it made it much easier to get them off. Thanks.

Now today I got yet another puncture! That's multiple punctures I've had with these tyres!. It's ridiculous. I've never had so many punctures with a bicycle tyre - in fact until these I'd never had one from the road at all.........