BMC timemachine TMR02 Ultegra

marcne8707
marcne8707 Posts: 7
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
I am thinking to buy the BMC timemachine TMR02 Ultegra. Has someone ride this bike? What is your general review? Is it good for some climbing?

Thanks!!!!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The bike will only be good for climbing if the rider is. I'm sure some other reviews will be along shortly...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I like the online reviews of this bike, the ones that say "you simply get further down the road than your competition with every pedal stroke". So there you go then :-)

As imposter says, despite the marketing BS, there isn't really such a thing as a bike that is good for climbing if the rider isn't. I remember a club ride a couple of years ago and the group I was in had quite a few of the best climbers in the club, many on decent high spec carbon bikes with carbon bottle cages, light wheels...you name it. We all got dropped (by some margin) on a big climb by a rider who was on his winter bike, sit up and beg geo, frame made of scaffolding poles and wheels that were very fat and small with more spokes than you find on a sports car from the 50's...oh, and there was also a pannier rack on the back. I wonder what the marketing blurb would say for that little package.
  • The only downside to the BMC for me is its brakes, particularly the under-the-chainstay mounted rear brake. I have this kind-of-brake on one of my bikes and it constantly gets covered in crap, is harder to adjust and doesn't perform particularly well. I know it's a little trivial but I would never buy a bike if it had this kind of brake again.

Other than that issue, it's got a great frame and a good spec.
  • When I read bike reviews in mags for road bikes it often made me wonder how they could review many bikes and put together successive articles which differentiated bikes to an nth degree so much....I came to the conclusion much was BS, marketing crap and the amount the said Company advertised in their publication. That BMC looks very nice.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er