The Grand Tour

2»

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Motogull wrote:
    Someone who has a habit of hitting the nail on the head said "any male over the age of 14 who looks forward to watching TG needs to have a word with himself. That was before JC got sacked. Last week I saw a clip of the new series of JC in a reliant rolling it over. Christ.
    Someone's a bit of a knob then. Juvenile childish humour? Yup. Well-written? Sure is. Well produced artistically edited films? Yup. Car pr0n on a scale that we'd happily go to the Cycle Show to leer at, delivered to your tv in nice 4K? Bring it on...

Someone, whoever that might be, seems to have overlooked the fact that TG pre-evans shambles made the BBC around £50m a year on overseas sales and was watched by about 350m people worldwide. That's a lot of people who are wronger than this mysterious someone, who need to 'have a word with themselves'. Remind me who's probably right here.

Clarkson rolling around in a Robin [modified to make it happen] was two or three series ago. It was very funny. You should try giving humour a try sometime. Monty Python was silly & juvenile yet very popular. So were The Young Ones. It's got a long tradition.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I thought it was ok, the start was very cheesy, it was a bit too car heavy for me and not enough arsing around, didn't really get the guests dying bit? maybe i missed something?

but it was alright, not great but not bad, if the girlfriend didn't already have amazon prime i'm not sure it'd be worth paying to watch.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I watched it as I have Amazon prime. First thing I've ever watched in prime. Will watch again but could take it or leave it. Five mins of super cars round the track was enough before I got a bit bored.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Chris Bass wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I hadn't noticed the TG -> GT thing till just now.
    :oops:

Is that intentional or just coincidence? Like the number plate?

actually its The Grand Tour, or TGT or Top Gear Two...and its intentional as the intro where Clarkson said he'd been a car journalist for 30 years, ie not a Radio 2 presenter who just has a big garage full of cars.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Started to watch this on Sunday afternoon, I think I saw the first 15 minutes and the last 15 minutes, I'm afraid that for the rest of it I was asleep.

Watched it last night and this was very similar to my experience. When the last version went pop everyone suddenly forgot how tedious it had got, this didn't feel all that different to me. I think I might have not been in the mood for it, I'll give it another shot and hopefully the rest of the series will be good
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    CiB wrote:
    Motogull wrote:
    Someone who has a habit of hitting the nail on the head said "any male over the age of 14 who looks forward to watching TG needs to have a word with himself. That was before JC got sacked. Last week I saw a clip of the new series of JC in a reliant rolling it over. Christ.
    Someone's a bit of a knob then. Juvenile childish humour? Yup. Well-written? Sure is. Well produced artistically edited films? Yup. Car pr0n on a scale that we'd happily go to the Cycle Show to leer at, delivered to your tv in nice 4K? Bring it on...

Someone, whoever that might be, seems to have overlooked the fact that TG pre-evans shambles made the BBC around £50m a year on overseas sales and was watched by about 350m people worldwide. That's a lot of people who are wronger than this mysterious someone, who need to 'have a word with themselves'. Remind me who's probably right here.

Clarkson rolling around in a Robin [modified to make it happen] was two or three series ago. It was very funny. You should try giving humour a try sometime. Monty Python was silly & juvenile yet very popular. So were The Young Ones. It's got a long tradition.

You asked to be reminded who is probably right here...Being ochlocratic does not prove you are right :wink:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    AICMFP = And I Claim My Five Pounds

Ahhh - now I get it. Gracie.

Of course he's blimmin' VTECH - everyone has known that for ages. He's generally on here inbetween (allegedly) breaking other people's cars.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,693
    Not, yet, being a TaxDodgers Prime subscriber, but being in possession of various internet devices and Smart TVs, are the various YouTube versions available kosher? Watched first few minutes of one, had JC leaving UK for California then heading for a Burning Man/Van desert setting. Real pirate copy?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    orraloon wrote:
    Not, yet, being a TaxDodgers Prime subscriber, but being in possession of various internet devices and Smart TVs, are the various YouTube versions available kosher? Watched first few minutes of one, had JC leaving UK for California then heading for a Burning Man/Van desert setting. Real pirate copy?

I haven't watched it either, not through any copyright issues because the law is quite clear that in order for copyright to qualify for protection, a work must be an expression with a degree of originality :D

I'll get me coat :oops:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,801
    orraloon wrote:
    Only if it had Hothouse Flowers.
    And that was the main bombshell. :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    Haven't watched it, not that bothered about it either. Watched a bit of the new TG out of curiosity, it was as bad as I expected. Or should I say Chris Evans was as bad as I expected?
  • Thought it was OK, but maybe my expectations were too high after the dog poo that was Evan's effort.

Some very good subtle (and not so subtle) middle fingers hoisted at Auntie Beeb, some laugh out loud moments (celebs), some utterly cringeworthy shoite (RAF bit) and a couple of segments that were too long - supercar drifting and the new track. Otherwise, normal service resumed. Utterly gorgeous cinematography, and the juvenile man-chemistry between the three of them is still there, albeit May looked seriously hacked off at Clarkson on a few occasions. It will be interesting to see if the balance of comedy/motoring/banter shifts over the coming episodes. With a reputed budget of £4M an episode it's certainly going to look good..... :D
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Well that was 58 minutes that i'll never get back on episode 2.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    Yep, I've gotta agree with sloppy, the second episode was pretty awful.

There's something missing, it's more like old TG but with more budget and less creativity
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,801
    I think the plot went over there. Way, way, way over there :arrow:
    Lost now.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Well that was 58 minutes that i'll never get back on episode 2.

I have to agree, compared to the first episode it was pretty dull and lacking decent car content.

Also don't like the new stig, just shutup and drive. The new track is pretty dull compared to the BBCs one.
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    Seeing as how I caused offence with my last post, I'll expand a bit. I used to watch TG a bit like I still sometimes turn over to F1. I did so knowing it was sufficiently entertaining to bother. Either way, amongst the 'same old routine' there would be a few decent bits. I'd never plan around, or record either though. TG at 7 n a sunday was good scheduling.

The same went with the Evans version and he made me cringe. I became less likely to switch over with him in it.

I got bored with the same 'jokes' via Clarkson's reign and it became far too contrived and scripted for me. The away specials were worth a watch, even with the set in stone tampering of May's car etc.

When Guy Martin started his TV work, that was a turning point. I will deliberately watch or record his stuff.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,555
    finally got around to watching episode 1

ok, but flabby, c/m/h top gear was much tighter

content was sparse, one 'dead' 'celebrity' was mildly amusing, three was tedious

also felt rather too desperate to be american, with amazon in control i suppose that was inevitable

if 2 was worse, strewth
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Quite liked ep 2.
  • Episodes 2 & 3 are terrible. I absolutely despise Richard Hammond and everything he does, irritating little man.

However, I am drawn to the show as I find the cars, locations and production very enjoyable.

I realise that I am in the minority but I really enjoyed the Chris Evans Top Gear shows. Less about the characters and more about the cars. I said it at the time when JC et al left Top Gear, a show without any of the studio bollacks would be better.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    edited December 2016
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    nbalcombe wrote:
    I absolutely despise Richard Hammond and everything he does, irritating little man.

Just this has been enough to stop me ever watching Top Gear.
  • nbalcombe wrote:
    Episodes 2 & 3 are terrible.

just watched 3, god it was tedious.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    Everything seems over long and self indulgent.

It's as if three young lads have been given the keys to a sweet shop and they've gourged themselves
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu