cycle roller flywheel and drum size

Bozabyka
Bozabyka Posts: 252
Been looking at adding some resistance to my 3" rollers. I really like them but need more resistance when doing strength intervals.
Looked at Krietlers they have 2.25"drums available, apparently you need to be mega fit to use them,
So how bad would they be to use if I used the bottom ring for training?
http://www.kreitler.co.uk/wattage_info.asp
I have looked at reistance units and it is going to be the best part of £100 to import one from America to fit my Minouras.
Has anyone added an additional heavy drum to their rollers to act as a flywheel?
Are the flywheels worth having?

Comments

• Sorry I've never got past the 'thinking about it' stage of adding resistance to my plastic Tacx rollers, using some form of fan or motor assembly, but if you have metal rollers then there does seem to be a better way.

http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/ ... llers.html

If I want increased power, I just use my turbo instead.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Far easier option is to just get a turbo.

ITs like buying a motorbike and trying to turn it into a car. Yes it can be done but just buy the right thing in the first place.
  • Fenix wrote:
    Far easier option is to just get a turbo.

ITs like buying a motorbike and trying to turn it into a car. Yes it can be done but just buy the right thing in the first place.

I'd say that the latest generation of smart rollers are probably the ultimate training tool. Far more involving than a turbo.
  • Bozabyka
    I have to agree, I like the fact I can just get on the rollers rather than changing skewers clamping down the tyre. I have never found the turbo to be fun. Rollers mean real riding. Any ideas on how much flywheel weight will increase wattage?
  • Doesn't that site you linked to suggests it adds 47 W @ 20mph ?
  • Bozabyka
    yes but how heavy is the flywheel
  • Bozabyka wrote:
    yes but how heavy is the flywheel

I've absolutely no idea, but assuming it's about 4.5 inches in diameter and 4 inches long (which is what I'd estimate from the picture on their their webpage), then I'd say it probably weighs around 5 - 6 kg if it's made from cast iron, or around 19kg in the unlikely event they've made it from depleted uranium.

I'd go for somewhere around 5 -6 kg.
  • Bozabyka
    Thanks a great help;)
    Hadnt considered the potential risks of radioactivity.
    Could one of the roller drums be filled with a weight to act as a flywheel?