Giant Trance 2 -27.5- 2016 Your Views/Do you own one!

winter_zombie
winter_zombie Posts: 291
edited November 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hello All

ive just sold my beloved bike so i can fund my next

ive had my eye on a Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 model for some months
i even had giant send my local bike shop a giant trance 1 2017 model for a demo ride day :)

but before i go and pull the trigger id like to know your views on the bike
and if any of you own one your good/bad views & tips

about me and riding..(in case it helps)
my last bike was a Boardman Pro HT and it was a great bike BUT after 2+ hours in the saddle it would become very uncomfortable due to the pounding the seat would give me and because im now 42 and i feel the bumps more :/
i ride red & blue routes but no DH and my local riding is almost always muddy/roots/loose

so this is why ive taken a fancy to a 27.5 wheel size and a full sus, for a more comfortable floaty all day ride.

so what do you think to the trance 2 bike ? good value ? and if you own one whats your personal view on the bike good/bad and tips !?

Thanks for your time

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I bought one in September and love it.
    Very nice ride and the Maestro suspension is very plush. The first thing I changed was the handlebars as the stock 690mm felt too narrow. I now have 760mm on the bike and it feels much better. That's a personal thing though and you may find the stock bars to be ok.
    I also changed the tyres to Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo Snakeskin and set them up tubeless.

I have now done about 450 miles on the bike and really can't fault it. Have ridden blue and red trails at Cwmcarn, Forest of Dean, Cannock Chase and Bike Park Wales with no problems at all.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    I bought one in September and love it.
    Very nice ride and the Maestro suspension is very plush. The first thing I changed was the handlebars as the stock 690mm felt too narrow. I now have 760mm on the bike and it feels much better. That's a personal thing though and you may find the stock bars to be ok.
    I also changed the tyres to Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo Snakeskin and set them up tubeless.

I have now done about 450 miles on the bike and really can't fault it. Have ridden blue and red trails at Cwmcarn, Forest of Dean, Cannock Chase and Bike Park Wales with no problems at all.

So for the money the bike spec and quality is about as good as it gets ?
    the trance 2 im looking at is £1500 and it seems a good price, even giant carnt/wont do it at that price !

thanks for your reply buddy :)
  • JBA
    For £1500 you'd be daft to say no.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Sounds like it'll be a little too much bike, anthem probably better but for 1500 it's a bargain.

I own a 2016 Trance Advanced 1 and love it, best full sus to.date.

I'd question why your backside is getting a pounding, are you not getting off the saddle through the rough stuff to aid balance etc?
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Briggo wrote:
    Sounds like it'll be a little too much bike, anthem probably better but for 1500 it's a bargain.

I own a 2016 Trance Advanced 1 and love it, best full sus to.date.

I'd question why your backside is getting a pounding, are you not getting off the saddle through the rough stuff to aid balance etc?

Morning Gents,

I have an Anthem X2 2013 (26") and absolutely love it (got it for £900 from Pauls it was a 50% discount). Its bloody fast. I did change few things:
    - wider bars,
    - shorter stem,
    - dropper post,
    - converted into 1 x 10;
    - converted to tubeless,
    - upgraded wheels + hubs to HOPE Pro 4,
    - changed brakes to Shimano next model up form stock etc.

As Briggo said Anthem would be more than enough for you and I do agree aout Maestro suspension, however @1500 its a lot of bike for the money and funny enough Trance would probably be my next bike...

Good luck,

Chris
  • Well Thanks JBA,Briggo,Kinioo for your input

can i ask have any of you got a frame protector for the trance from a company called Rock Guardz ?
    http://www.rockguardz.com/rockguardz/gi ... -650b.html
    over the past few months while i have been drooling over the bike online ive seen a few pics with frames with a carbon frame protector. i do helitape my frame and i usually use a mucky nut crud catcher on the front wheel and back.but this looks a great idea but its ££. have any of you got any views on this or something like it ???

thanks guys, your opinion and personal views mean a lot
  • JBA
    I have used heavy duty helitape on my bike - underside of the downtube, all cable rub points and the top of the downtube where my bike carrier clamps it.

• Briggo
    The Trance Advanced comes with its own rockguard, aluminium ones dont, I'd not bother with one on an alu frame.
  • Briggo wrote:
    The Trance Advanced comes with its own rockguard, aluminium ones dont, I'd not bother with one on an alu frame.
    im looking at getting the trance 2 so i dont think it comes with a rock guard but i defo want something to protect my frame
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had a demo on one when they first came out. Great frame. Really nice ride.
    At the time they still had the overdrive 2 headset so I didn't buy one but now that they use a normal headset its a great bike.
  • I had a demo on one when they first came out. Great frame. Really nice ride.
    At the time they still had the overdrive 2 headset so I didn't buy one but now that they use a normal headset its a great bike.
    overdrive 2 headset ?? what year bike's was that on and whats wrong with the overdrive 2 headset ?? :?:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It was a proprietary size that made it a PITA to change forks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    overdrive 2 headset ?? what year bike's was that on and whats wrong with the overdrive 2 headset ?? :?:

Pre-2014. The taper on the steerer was 1.5" to 1.25".
    From 2014 Giant sensibly went to the standard taper, marketed as 'Overdrive'.

• have any of you got a frame protector for the trance from a company called Rock Guardz ?
    http://www.rockguardz.com/rockguardz/gi ... -650b.html

I Will helitape the frame but this rock guardz looks good but pricey, is it good ???
  • Another Question for you guys.....

Have you ordered from rutland cycles http://www.rutlandcycling.com ?????

as this is where im going to get my bike from, i canrt find that many giant dealers and most dont have any 2016 stock left
  • Briggo
    Yes, they're fine and good with dispatching/customer service.

Although never ordered a bike from them.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Never had any issues with Rutland at all. Never bought a bike, but plenty of other stuff. Most of the online retailers are OK. And Rutland have a bunch of actual shops as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I've got a Rockguard carbon frame protector on my Transition.
    Quality bit of kit. No adhesives used in fitting. Just put it in hot water to soften it, slide it over the tube and when it's cool it's solid.
    It does mark the paint under it but obviously you can't see it so it doesn't mattes.
  • I've got a Rockguard carbon frame protector on my Transition.
    Quality bit of kit. No adhesives used in fitting. Just put it in hot water to soften it, slide it over the tube and when it's cool it's solid.
    It does mark the paint under it but obviously you can't see it so it doesn't mattes.
    Thanks RockmonkeySC, i would helitape the frame before i use the rockguard. but it should not be marking the frame anyway should it ?? as this is the point of the guard to protect the frame ! but in this months "what mountain bike" they give it a poor/average review saying it had "build niggles" and the pre drilled holes were not quite right. :/ at £35+ its not something that should happen and it should not be marking you paint in my view. im still looking if their is any other option's

thanks buddy