Winter clothing advice please

vince133
vince133 Posts: 61
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all

I am hoping to get some views as to what winter clothing I require to cycle more through the winter. Been cycling for a couple of years mainly commuting. However I am looking to increase my mileage through the winter. ( 2 to 3 hours at a time)

I have been looking at bib tights and long sleeve jerseys. Probably DHB Aeron from reading a few reviews. Whilst I am putting my wish list together what other clothing would anyone recommend. I have decent gloves and socks. Any views appreciated as I would cycle when cold down to about 3 degrees. Any colder and I get concerned about falling off :D:D as it's quite rural and gritting is a bit hit and miss on local roads. Thanks in advance.

Vince

Comments

• Base layers - don't forget base layers... even longs and long-sleeved jerseys have their limits...

In my world, base layers are merino (not always cycling specific - I own a couple of ski-specific ones too...) but they don't have to be.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The trick is to wear a few thinner layers that way if the sun comes out or it gets really cold mid ride you will be fine.

I wear a gore base layer, gore long sleeve jersey and gore jacket on top with castelli bibtights as it all fits me well and is comfortable to ride in. All bought in sales at around half price. Just be care not to buy low quality cheap gear as it is not as good. Most have the sizing charts on their websites.
  • Agree with above - layer, layer, layer. Include hands and feet with this: thin gloves and overgloves or gloves and lobsters (I think one thick pair of gloves are a mistake - YMMV). Overshoes/socks over regular shoes too. Long socks too - as I believe part of the reason feet get cold is because ankles and calves get cold.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Hi all

Thanks for your replies. From what you are saying I need to look into a set of over shoes and a jacket, as the aeron jersey would make a reasonable mid layer. I do already have some decent base layers.

Thanks. Vince.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Sounds about right. Worry about your extremities first and foremost - they're where you'll feel the cold before anything else.

Decent overshoes. Something to go under your helmet, be it a buff, skullcap or peaked cap with ear protection. Make sure your existing gloves are up to scratch, and if not, consider some liner gloves or a beefier pair.

Bib tights - DHB get well reviewed. Sportful and Castelli always good if you can get them for a good price. Jacket - you'll probably get most use out of a softshell rather than a full waterproof. Gore Bike Wear are always decent for that kind of thing.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You don't need to spend big bucks on overshoes. I find the PX ones very durable.

Get a bundle like this - http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BN129TTEOA ... umn-bundle

And they also do a winter one but I think lobster gloves are overkill. I've bought some and I think it'd have to be zero or below to get the use out of them.

Merino LS layer. Windproof bibs - overshoes- all of these are from PX. Buff over my head and ears. DHB Aeron Softshell jacket. Adli windproof gloves. That's me down to about 4 degrees or so.

If it was any colder I'd have another jersey on - or maybe a gilet over the top.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    To be honest we are all different and you will find what works best for you. I don't like too many layers, was out last night for a couple of hours, I was doing hill repeats so was working fairly hard and not travelling at too fast a speed.
    All I had on was a single merino base layer (long sleeve) and a soft shell (soft shell is "rated" down to -1 apparently). I had thermal bids (cheapish pair of Sportful ones that I've had for years).
    I also had Rapha over socks as for night riding I like the reflective feet thing. A single pair of gloves, pretty thick ones, but they are toasty warm and a neck buff. When I got hot I just took the neck buff off and unzipped the jacket a little.

I hate being in a position where I'm having to strip off mid ride and then my pockets are stuffed with clothing I no longer need. I'd rather go out slightly colder and within 5 minutes I'm warm enough.
  • Absolutely - I expect to feel a bit chilly for the first few minutes of a ride. The point about layers isn't to have loads of them but to have, say, two thin layers instead of one thick one. It's more effective and it's more easily adjusted. And it's more flexible for the different seasons. I have a thick winter jacket but I hardly ever use it because it's rarely cold enough.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Ski sox are good. They have normal thickness feet bits and thicker upper bits made with warm stuff.

Merino base layer and merino jersey.

Buff for the neck.

Fleece or merino skull cap.

Overshoes.

Windcheater - gilet or jacket.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Two layers of modern kit can be pretty warm these days. I remember the days when you'd have about 4 or more layers on in winter...
  • Find yourself a decent jacket and a winter hat, and that will cover you for almost all days down to around 5C, then base everything else around that. You can get away with surprisingly little I've found and I am a big wuss when it comes to wanting to stay warm.
  • Hi all thanks for your replies. All help appreciated. I am quite happy with what I need to buy now. Just need to make decision on my jacket/jersey now.

My initial thoughts are either the DHB ASV race roubaix windslam or DHB Aeron roubaix. Any other suggestions or views on which one of those would be good appreciated but I guess it becomes a personal preference.

Vince
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Vince133 wrote:
    Hi all thanks for your replies. All help appreciated. I am quite happy with what I need to buy now. Just need to make decision on my jacket/jersey now.

My initial thoughts are either the DHB ASV race roubaix windslam or DHB Aeron roubaix. Any other suggestions or views on which one of those would be good appreciated but I guess it becomes a personal preference.

Vince
    Both are good but I would go for the ASV Race Roubaix Windslam, slightly 'racier' fit and the wind protection for a bit of extra warmth.
  • Agree with above - layer, layer, layer. Include hands and feet with this: thin gloves and overgloves or gloves and lobsters (I think one thick pair of gloves are a mistake - YMMV). Overshoes/socks over regular shoes too. Long socks too - as I believe part of the reason feet get cold is because ankles and calves get cold.

Your feet get cold because your core is too cold.
    Your bodies response to your core being too cold is to reduce the supply of (warm) blood to the extremeties.
    A gilet like a castelli fawesome is a good purchase to wear over the top of your winter gear.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Feet also get cold because they're cold. you do need overshoes too.
  • I pissed about for 20 years buying stuff (MTB and last ten years road) that 'nearly' did the job I wanted it to do, now with modern fabrics there is less of an excuse and I tend to shell out on something that works i.e the Gabba, Espresso jacket etc. I have found I enjoy Winter rides more too as I am not too hot or too cold, wet through etc. I went for variety rather than getting fewer items that were more expensive but worked.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • kajjal
    Flanners1 wrote:
    I pissed about for 20 years buying stuff (MTB and last ten years road) that 'nearly' did the job I wanted it to do, now with modern fabrics there is less of an excuse and I tend to shell out on something that works i.e the Gabba, Espresso jacket etc. I have found I enjoy Winter rides more too as I am not too hot or too cold, wet through etc. I went for variety rather than getting fewer items that were more expensive but worked.

Based on my experience this is good advice. Decent kit that fits you well means you just get on with the riding. I now wear the same on or off road as flappy tops and shorts just annoy me.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    My current winter kit is:

Skull cap
    Neck warmer
    Short sleeve baselayer, short sleeve jersey, Windproof+Waterproof Jacket (From Aldi)
    DHB Aeron Rouxbaix Tights
    2 pairs of socks
    Overshoes.

I got cold very quickly (Inherited poor circulation) and found the above keeps me pretty warm. If I do think it's going to be too cold, then I replace the baselayer and jersey with a long sleeve and unless I wear two pairs of socks my feet go numb within minutes of leaving the house
  • beak58
    beak58 Posts: 142
    My current kit for riding comfortably in current conditions - Lancashire but everywhere is pretty crap weather at the moment so here's what gets me through.

DHB thermo lite socks
    Endura overshoes neoprene (overshoes are a game changer)
    Bike Hut gloves from halfords bargain bin £2
    My normal bibs, jersey, shoes.
    Muddy fox bib tights (for all intents and purposes unpadded :) )
    Nike dry fit running jacket from charity shop £5
    Rapha Pro team jacket.

Getting me through 150+ miles a week at 5-6am due to family commitments so it's cold when I'm going out that early.
    The Rapha jacket is absolutely fantastic and would certainly backup the advice given to sort the core out first and the extremities will follow, as the rest of my kit is pretty naff relatively speaking and I am happy as Larry on the bike for as long as it wants to piss it down and shoot hail into my eyeballs.
  • hnefi
    hnefi Posts: 15
    Vince133 wrote:
    Hi all thanks for your replies. All help appreciated. I am quite happy with what I need to buy now. Just need to make decision on my jacket/jersey now.

Vince
    I have the DHB classic windproof jacket and it works perfectly for me - been out in the cold mornings between 3 and 10 degrees with nothing but a short sleeve merino base layer and that jacket. So +1 on a recommendation for that - it has a rubbery windproof front so I have never once felt too much of a draft or been too cold. Also use the Aeron bibs, which are too warm for me if it gets around 10 degrees! That stuff is pretty packed with fleece.

Everyone in this thread so far has been right about overshoes - total game changer.
  • Thanks for your replies. Going to purchase some DHB tights and a jacket/jerseyand will definitely add overshoes to my list.

Hoping some Black Friday deals might help out. If not will purchase next week.
  • Thanks. Now ordered bib tights hopefully the jacket/jersey over the next few days :D
  • kajjal
    Once you have all the gear you will find it much more comfortable on the bike and wonder why you didn't do it before.

Also now you are fully lycra'd up you can now have a full midlife crisis.
  • Apparently I have already had a mid life crisis or two. But certainly enjoying the cycling as a relative newbie.
  • The Helly Hansen Lifa WARM 1/2 zip merino/ Lifa l/s base layer is the best base layer I've ever owned. Cost a bit more than other base layers, but the wicking and warmth are unmatched IMO.

Whatever gloves you use, I'd also recommend buying a cheap pair (or two), of "silk", glove liners. I got some from Decathlon. They're form-fitting and very thin, but worn under your normal chunky cycling gloves, they definitely add an extra dimension of warmth by a good few degrees...