Garmin speed sensor issue

letap73
letap73 Posts: 1,608
edited November 2016 in Road general
I have just bought a new magnetless Garmin speed sensor as it pairs with the powerpod power meter. The powerpod power meter works very well, however, the garmin speed sensor produces some very erratic speed data mid way through a ride - it implied that I was travelling nearly 60 mph at one stage and around 40-50 mph for a good few minutes around that.

Given that for the majority of the ride it appeared fairly accurate I am stumped as to why the readings would be so wrong for that brief period of time. Installing the speed sensor is very easy unless I am missing something?

Comments

• Is the computer configured to automatically set the wheel size or have you assigned a value in the computer?

If the former, set thensize - otherwise it constantly recalibrates and sometimes leads to odd behaviour.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Is the computer configured to automatically set the wheel size or have you assigned a value in the computer?

If the former, set thensize - otherwise it constantly recalibrates and sometimes leads to odd behaviour.

I manually set the wheel size so it appears that is not the issue - I was thinking of actually trying the auto option!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I tried the manual setting and it always read different to my cats eye velo or my gps on my iPhone - 3 to 4 mph difference

Set it to auto and it's 1 mph out which isn't a major issue