Ceased headset outer bearing help

richy945
richy945 Posts: 8
edited November 2016 in Workshop
Hi just bought a 2011 giant defy frame as a winter project, however the bottom outer bearing is seized into the frame. I've tried tapping it out with a long flathead but it is pretty much flush with the frame so had no joy.

Can anyone recommend the best tool/technique for the trying to cut it out?

Thanks in advance. Rich

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    probably corroded in place, try soaking it in acf-50 or plusgas, give it time to penetrate

lay the frame on its side, pour boiling water over that end of the headtube, the differential expansion may help loosen it (the frame is aluminium, bearing steel)

depends on design, have you checked to see if the bearing can be knocked out from the other end? or removed with a puller? as long as there's just enough edge to get purchase you should be able to do it

when refitting, use marine grease on bearing/mounting faces
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Thanks for the reply. I shall give it a go. I've currently got it soaking in a tub of coke. Theres very little of an edge, if any to try and knock it out. I had no joy with a long screwdriver so I've just ordered a lifeline head cup remover so fingers crossed. If not I will try your suggestion of acf-50 and boiling water.

Thanks again.