Should I be able to reach both brakes on racer

Beebee12
Beebee12 Posts: 7
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
I've got a racer bike and unless I'm in the tucked position I can only reach the back wheel break. If I try to push both brakes, I can only reach the top of them, therefore I feel like I have less pressure on them. I'm pretty sure the handlebars can't be adjusted on the bike so I think I'm stuck with it to be honest, I don't have the seat high at all, but I think if it was, it'd be even harder. Is it normal to not be able to reach both breakers when sitting up ?

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,671
    How tall are you and what size bike is it? What make and model bike do you have? You should be able to reach all controls comfortably as it is a matter of safety that you are in full control of the bike at all times. Most importantly being able to operate the brakes.

It might be that your bike fit needs tweaking or that the bike is too big for you?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    You should be braking with the front wheel as default and the rear when needed. Both brakes should be accessible at all times, but you will be able to apply more pressure when on the drops,,,which is usually just as well. Some Shimano brakes have a shim to help move the braking position of the levers but it you cannot reach them then you need to get that sorted...and I don't really understand why you can reach one brake but not the other unless you have an issue with equal reach or the levers are not set at the same distance, etc.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Why is the front brake hard to get to - surely its in the same position as the rear ?

It's really not normal to be able to reach your brakes. Can you post a picture of you on the bike maybe ? Or even look at other riders on bikes to get a vague idea of what you should be like.

Drop bars and brakes do take a bit of time to get used to. I disliked them - but I've got used to them after 35 years....
  • It's because I feel more comfortable breaking with my right hand than the left. It's just a preference. I can reach one or the other rather than both, when I'm in a upright position. When I'm bent over I can reach both but I generally don't ride in that position
  • fenix
    You're not from the UK are you ?

How long have you been riding like this ? New to the bike ?

You could swap the cables over so the front brake is on the right for you - but I think you need to address the issue of why you're struggling.

Without seeing the bike and you - its hard to answer.
  • cid:72CDE2CA-E843-4C59-9D8D-144D490922D1
  • Sorry how do I post a picture
  • fenix
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Fenix wrote:
    You're not from the UK are you ?

How long have you been riding like this ? New to the bike ?

You could swap the cables over so the front brake is on the right for you - but I think you need to address the issue of why you're struggling.

Without seeing the bike and you - its hard to answer.

Although it appears that you're right in your assumption that the OP is not from the UK, plenty of UK riders set up with the front brake on the left rather than the standard right. Certainly myself and a lot of the people I ride with have the European set up for the brakes despite coming from a motorcycling background. For right turns, it means you can still give a clear signal to traffic whilst having the front brake covered with the left hand. Left hand turns it isn't an issue as nothing is going to undertake you on the left.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.