Shimano Ultegra bottom bracket general ignorance

ben-----
ben----- Posts: 573
edited November 2016 in Workshop
I noticed my cranks were just a tadge loose, a little bit of play, plus there was a new slight click/creak from them while riding. Didn't feel too great when turning them by hand (with no chain); a little bit grindy/rough. Took cranks off.

The bearing seated in the cup (? I'm not sure on the names) on the drive side seemed looser than it should be, certainly looser than the bearing on the NDS - more play/movement. Plus there was quite a bit of brown substance around and coming from this bearing - rusty liquid. I managed to clean things up a bit and get a reasonable amount of grease into the gap (gap marked by the white dot on piccy).

Put it all back together, haven't ridden it yet but it seems generally better. No play/looseness in cranks now. Much less grindy feeling - but not perfect.

I had taken the cranks off a few months ago to change the middle ring. So maybe I didn't put them back properly, although I'm pretty sure there wasn't any play after putting it back together then. Been using bike in a lot of wet since then.

I'm guessing it's basically OK now. No need to replace anything (yet?). Even if the bearing is a bit damaged further use will only damage that bearing right?; It's not going to do any further damage to anything else I guess?

But to fill my knowledge in about replacing it:

Are the bearings buyable/replaceable on their own? I guess not because: The cup has DO NOT DISASSEMBLE written on it. I guess that means the cup (the metal part which screws onto frame) and the bearing? So that is a unit, you can't replace just the bearing? If that's correct, can you get/replace just that unit (cup+bearing) rather than the whole bottom bracket? Presumably yes. How particular are the cups from one version of the bottom bracket to another? My one is a triple 10 speed Ultegra 6603 (or 6604 not sure) crankset.

But then some whole Shimano bottom brackets are pretty cheap, eg https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ul ... 62947.html £10, but that's a Shimano Ultegra 6800 which'll be 11 speed and double - mine being 10 speed and triple. Would that work/be compatible?

THen I notice there's English and Italian. How to tell what I need? The frame is a Van Nicholas Yukon.

So:
- should I replace anything now?
- when I do come to replace a/both bearings what's the best (cheapest) way, what's the compatibility situation with other Ultegra cranks?; the 10/11 speed aspect and double/triple etc.

Thanks.

bb2.jpg

Comments

• Don't be cheap, just go and buy a new BB. As you've found out, they are cheap as chips and easy to replace with the right tools.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    The one in the link (Merlin) is perfect. From the pic you'll want an English thread. Triple or double crank is irrelevant - the bottom bracket is the same.
    Forcing grease into the old BB won't really work as there is a seal underneath the plastic outer which will stop the grease reaching the bearing. Despite the "Do not disassemble" warning, they can be carefully stripped and re-greased- but if they are already rough there would be little point. Also for £10 it's probably not worth it.
    So basically you might as well just replace.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    As has been said, I'd replace them. I'd also invest in the proper tool to remove the old ones and fit the new ones. Note the direction they screw on is different on each side. They can also be a real pain to get off if they weren't greased properly when fitted. I've had to use an old metal pipe to gain extra leverage on the wrench in the past, and that was an Ultegra BB in a titanium frame.
  • ben-----
    OK, great, thanks for that. Will get the BB from Merlin. And the spanner https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-tl ... 44480.html. Thanks.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Yeah, that's wrecked. Definitely time to change it.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    ben----- wrote:
    OK, great, thanks for that. Will get the BB from Merlin. And the spanner https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-tl ... 44480.html. Thanks.

If you buy a 6800 BB and that tool, you ll be able to remove your old BB but the 6800 is smaller, so you need a different tool to fit the 6800 or you can buy an adaptor to size down that spanner.

may be easier to buy the 6700 BB on the Merlin site ?
  • ben-----
    mamba80 wrote:
    ben----- wrote:

If you buy a 6800 BB and that tool, you ll be able to remove your old BB but the 6800 is smaller, so you need a different tool to fit the 6800 or you can buy an adaptor to size down that spanner.

may be easier to buy the 6700 BB on the Merlin site ?

Ah, thanks very much for pointing that out. Unfortunately I've ordered and they were dispatched yesterday. Possible that it hasn't actually left. I'll call them at 9.30. If that fails, which adapter is it to size down? Thanks.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    They don't come with the adaptor. Cheap enough though - https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/shima ... y13009260/
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Hi
    When I ordered my 6800 BB it came with the plastic adapter which is needed.
    You just fit the plastic adapter onto the new BB to fit and remove it
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • ben-----
    > They don't come with the adaptor. Cheap enough though - https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/shima ... y13009260/

OK, great, thanks.

> When I ordered my 6800 BB it came with the plastic adapter which is needed.

I just noticed what I guessed was what you describe on a photo of a 6800 BB on eBay. So maybe my one will come one also. We'll see.

Thanks.
  • Mine came with the adaptor, but the Shimano adaptor didn't fit the Shimano tool it was supposed to so I ended up with a TL-FC37 (the native tool) to do the job properly
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    If it doesn't pop down your lbs I'm sure they will have them in stock may even let you have one FOC
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The bearings in the screw in housings can be replaced if you want to create a space set.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ben-----
    > The bearings in the screw in housings can be replaced if you want to create a space set.

Right, that's interesting. Even thought it's so emphatic about not disassembling?! Which bearings? Probably won't bother as the BB are pretty cheap, but still nice to know/have that option.

Received the BB and tool today from Merlin, no adapter. :/ Oh well, not to worry.
  • 99.9% sure I have one here I can log in the post if that's any use to you
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Look on eBay, various sellers of replacement bearings, either fitted or for self install, just don't lose the plastic cop hats!

They aren't expensive complete but you can get better bearings fitted for less than a complete new set.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ben-----
    99.9% sure I have one here I can log in the post if that's any use to you

Oh no it's OK thanks – I'm just curious really.

The Rookie wrote:
    Look on eBay, various sellers of replacement bearings, either fitted or for self install, just don't lose the plastic cop hats!

They aren't expensive complete but you can get better bearings fitted for less than a complete new set.

OK, great, thanks.