2017 Amstell Gold Q

harry-s
harry-s Posts: 295
November is normally the month I start thinking about next years continental rides, and as I've never ridden it before, I thought I'd give the AG ride a go. I assumed the entry procedure would be pretty much like the rest of the Spring Classics, ie don't fill up quickly so no real rush, but it looks like the AG has a different approach. You have to put your name down for a ballot, and the deadline for this was the end of October. The website seems to suggest that that's it, if you missed the end of October deadline then you won't get in.

I'm surprised it's that exclusive, anyone on here had a similar, or different experience in the past, or any tips on how to get an entry now?

TIA

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,227
    It's incredibly popular. Dutch love that stuff.

Best way to get it is via a travel/tour/bike holidays operator.
  • harry-s
    Looks like it'll have to be a date in diary for 2018 then, - most of the tour operators seem to sell packages that include services I don't really want, and are thus pretty pricey.
  • I did the event last year

You are right, you have to pre-register on the Amstel site and enter a ballot, you could link entries with friends and if one of your "team" got in you were all accepted

If my memory serves me i did get an email a few weeks after we got in saying a few more places had been released due to cancellations. So might be worthwhile getting registered still?

It is very popular and it was pretty much like riding a fully closed road event as all the locals are either taking part of out watching/supporting

If yuo do get on make sure you stay in the start/finish town, it was absolutely rocking after the ride
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Loved it even though I did the full distance solo in sub zero rain and sleet, as Rick said the Dutch love it and treat it as a day out not a sportive.

Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Valkenburg is a fantastic place to spend a weekend, and ride the 3 signposted 'Amstel Gold' routes out of the Amstel Gold Café (inc free timing chip). Could obviously be done any time of the year, and on weekends you'll find hundreds of other cyclists on the same routes.

https://snookcycling.wordpress.com/amstel-gold/
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    check out the caves, totally bizarre
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • harry-s
    Thanks for the replies all.
    I didn't know about the Amstell Gold Café, thanks for that Durhamwasp, it looks like a good way to ride the course later in the year.
    H (ex Murton-er)
  • Piton
    Piton Posts: 9
    I live 100km from Valkenburg. Last time a rode the Amstel Gold was in 2005. It has become to crowdy. I must admit the organization is good. And it really is a great event. But I prefer to ride there on other days. The different routes are well described. Better go to Valkenburg outside the Amstel Gold weekend. You'll love it there.

check this dutch site for route info: http://www.amstelgoldracexp.nl/Xperienc ... ietsroutes
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    I took the plunge having read the Durhamwasp article and did two of the signposted routes. Easy to follow and a good mix of scenery. Recommended.
    Half man, Half bike
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    I did the Amstel Gold 365 waymarked routes one summer - good time had.

Stayed in Maastricht for Mrs FR to have plenty of things to do.