Decathlon 500 Pedal -Waranty Repair or Replace?

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited November 2016 in Workshop
So I had this happen yesterday. The shaft was left in the crank, and the pedal came off on the boot.
CxUnQ9aWgAAtr6b.jpg:large , that should look like this :
big_835ffef6da4f447eb63642640aa4c827.jpg
They look remarkably like the Shimano A530s, which seem to have user serviceable parts.

I can't work out it's repairable or a replacement job. I can't currently take the outer of the shaft from the pedals, and believe the shaft bearings are missing, but I'm not sure. I couldn't see a way to get to the other end of the shaft either.

I can't get back to DC to get a replacement without a lot of faff, so unless it's warranty repair I would order another set anyway ( I've moved to the PD-T400's I had in backup.)
So hoping to get a 3rd opinion on wether I can fix this, or it's a warranty repair ( as DC need to see the pedals first before making an assessment)
Ta
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I don't think it's repairable - not financially worthwhile anyway and you might have damaged the spindle while it was working loose.

If it's not too old Decathlon will probably just replace the pedals - so now you're down to whether it's worth the hassle of going back or if you'd rather just forget about it and spend £20 for some Shimano ones.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Thanks for that. Never taken a pedal apart before, so wasnt sure.
    DC have now via phone said they'd replace them under warranty. I'm sure the OH week will want an ikea trip soon, so two birds with one stone...
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...