basket to choose one

recently i came across some comments online about the black color
removed from the braking surface

any body here experienced that ?

i know that the reviews on those wheel are good
but your recommendations are appreciated

regards

Comments

• I can only give you my experience but have used a pair of shamal Mille for 18 months and they are fine, no wear of the brake surface at all. Used them in all weathers for several thousand kms as well. Good wheels by the way, best alloy clinchers I have had and used with the blue pads the breaking is better than anything else I have come across.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    .... no discernible wear of the brake surface at all....
    FIFY - anything else isn't physically possible :lol:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Svetty wrote:
    .... no discernible wear of the brake surface at all....
    FIFY - anything else isn't physically possible :lol:

Well yes, to all intents and purposes it is. Do you think that applying a piece of Wensleydale to a cheese grater causes wear to the cheese grater? I would say not - at least not in any meaningful sense. The cheese is a lot softer than the grater. And the brake block is a lot softer than the wheel rim. It probably depends on your pedantry level but if we take that too far we pick everyone up on everything. Eg why say 'physically' possible - are we seriously concerned enough about metaphorical wear to wheel rims to need to make the distinction!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Possibly not as Wenslyday is a crumbly cheese so I wouldn't use a grater.
    When young, Wensleydale has a milky freshness and hint of lemon not dissimilar to young Cheshire, Caerphilly or Crumbly Lancashire. As it matures so the flavours become more complex with a slightly sweet honey flavoured background. Wensleydale is a crumbly cheese but becomes firmer as it ages and in the case of the traditional cloth bound cheeses much drier.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Possibly not as Wenslyday is a crumbly cheese so I wouldn't use a grater.
    When young, Wensleydale has a milky freshness and hint of lemon not dissimilar to young Cheshire, Caerphilly or Crumbly Lancashire. As it matures so the flavours become more complex with a slightly sweet honey flavoured background. Wensleydale is a crumbly cheese but becomes firmer as it ages and in the case of the traditional cloth bound cheeses much drier.

It is - I just wanted to avoid the risk of accusation that Cheddar is quite abrasive and may therefore indeed wear out the grater!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Some of the cheap co-op stuff has those little cheese crystals formed on the inside, they play havoc with the fine side of the grater.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I just don't give edam about theoretical rim wear.
  • You should, it's a nightmare picking de Brie out of pads...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    :lol::lol:
    You should, it's a nightmare picking de Brie out of pads...
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    I have had the shamal and mavic exalith.
    Ride them in the dry and they will be fine, ride them in the wet they will scratch that's for sure.
    You can hear the grit scratching them from the wet roads.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Have the rims been improved since first launched? I've read several posts in the last year or so with photos showing the black coating warn through to the silver alloy base.
    Without a significant degree of confidence that this has not been engineered out I would stick with the Campy Shamal Ultra or Fulcrum Racing Zero with alloy rims - they're both great wheelsets imo and you won't have to worry yourself about the dreaded silver lines appearing/ are they/ aren't they covered by warrenty.

Peter
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Save yourself some cash. Get Zondas. The weight difference is negligible