Castelli Perfetto or Rapha Winter Windproof ?

gimpl
gimpl Posts: 269
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
A few years ago I bought a Gore Phantom instead of a Gabba as I thought they were much the same thing material wise and the Phantom had removable sleeves (which it turns out are a complete waste of time for me). I have seen others state that the Gabba is more breathable - I don't know why.

I find that in the Phantom I still get very sweaty and opening up the zip just means my front gets very cold in the winter. After about 90 minutes I can start to get very cold as the sweat starts to cool down and my energy levels decrease.

I'm wondering if something a bit lighter like the above two options is better for me in that I might not get as sweaty to start with.

Any thoughts/comments gratefully received.

Ta

Comments

• stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Not tried the Rapha wind proof but have a perfectto, it's very breathable and does a good job of keeping the water out. Sizing and base layer choice are both really important to get these tops breathing well, ideally you want a skin tight fit with the jersey (not difficult to achieve with castelli!) and a synthetic base layer which wicks well.
  • Castelli Alpha Wind Jersey. Long thread already on it for you to check out, but it's windproof front and arms only, has a water resistant back that lets the sweat out and has an internal liner with a separate zip so if you are overheating you can unzip the windproof outer a bit but still have some protection from the inner. Spendy though.

EEM.
  • personally I didn't find the alpha that breathable, not much different to the gabba tbh (ok for lower temps though i.e. below 7/8 - I do run a bit hot though)

I'd go for the perfetto
  • rnath
    rnath Posts: 176
    I've had a Phantom in the past, good commuter jacket but it's a loose fit so doesn't transmit sweat so well during efforts. The Perfetto I now have is very different - very snug "race fit" (you don't want to be sporting a beer gut with this top!) and much more breathable as a result.