Question regarding Canyon bike pricing

288GTO
288GTO Posts: 79
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
Hey guys,

I'm U.S based and plan on purchasing a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 SL and have it shipped to a buddies home in Mexico, near the U.S border. The price of the bike is currently 4999 Euro with 215 Euro shipping. But for some reason when I go through checkout pricing comes out to $4729.77 in US currency. Currently 1 euro equals $1.07. I'm not complaining about the lower price, but what gives?

Comments

• appeasement?
  • 288GTO
    appeasement?

They feel sorry we got Trump?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Sales tax?

Or just bog standard currency fluctuations
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    Possibly the dollar has risen against the euro since they set their prices. The prices in GBP last year were about 300 euros more than buying from a euro based country so luckily for you it's worked the other way
  • 288GTO
    jdee84 wrote:
    Possibly the dollar has risen against the euro since they set their prices. The prices in GBP last year were about 300 euros more than buying from a euro based country so luckily for you it's worked the other way

Just checked dollar vs euro, its 1 euro to $1.07.
  • Don't Canyon just set their prices so fluctuations don't matter? (Something like that anyway)
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    Don't Canyon just set their prices so fluctuations don't matter? (Something like that anyway)

Well that seems to be what they did last year with GBP pricing even though it was about £0.70 to 1 euro the GBP price when converted using the exchange rate was about 300 euro more than the same bike priced buying from a eurozone country.

So maybe they set the price in dollars but didn't give themselves such a large cushion as they did between euro and GBP and now it is working out cheaper to buy in dollars.

I think rose bikes prices are constantly changing with the rate where as canyon seem to preset prices.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    They are probably setting the price as it will be when you finally receive it. Which by Canyons past form could be some time in 2018
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Which will be handy as Trump will probably have run out of petrol round about then and everyone will be biking everywhere.

Mad Max Styleee - but with bicycle clips.

Good luck !