Waterproorf

ken newlan
ken newlan Posts: 5
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all
Is there ANY cycling jacket which is absolutely waterproof in all conditions?
Ken :?:

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    A plastic bag is 100% waterproof.

But as you exercise you sweat. You'd be as wet from the sweat as you would the rain.

You're after a mixture of breathability and waterproofedness. It depends on how long, how heavy, how hard you ride etc...
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Yes. It's all about taking care of the garment.
    I've got an 8 year old Berghaus Packite that I've used in torrential rain riding up Snowden and despite many,many washes it's still 100% waterproof.7 hours is the longest I've been out in heavy rain.
    If properly looked over after most Gortex jackets are.
    I also have a heavier Winter Hardshell(Endura) and that too is still 100% WP at 5 years old.
    People often mistake a build up of sweat inside for leaks.
    On the road I don't use hardshells for this reason.You tend to boil-in-the-bag as most can't breathe as quickly as many people sweat.Softshells are much better for prolonged riding as they breathe better!

My Berghaus Mera Peak walking Jacket is 15 years old and guess what,yes still waterproof!

Jackets don't stop being waterproof. The DWR(durable water repellent) coting loses its repellency over time,resulting in the jacket being less breathable and "wetting out".You then get wet from the inside.You have to either retreat(Nikwax etc) or rejuvenate with heat,usually tumble dry or iron.
    Never wash in normal detergent as it kills the DWR.
  • vulva65
    vulva65 Posts: 118
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Yes. It's all about taking care of the garment.
    I've got an 8 year old Berghaus Packite that I've used in torrential rain riding up Snowden and despite many,many washes it's still 100% waterproof.

Completely unrelated to the waterproof side of it, but I'm looking at riding Snowden but was looking at doing it in August, I understand that we cannot ride between 10 and 5 because of the walkers, but was thinking of pushing the bikes to the top (and riding when we can clearly see there are no walkers nearby), and then waiting until 5 and riding down. How hard is the route up and do you think this is a realistic plan at all? Thanks for any advice.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    It's a ride/push/carry but lots do what you do or set off at dawn and ride down early morning.If you set off at 6am and are relatively fit you'll be on the summit in 2-3 hours and easily back down by 10.
  • The Gore-Tex one active jacket. It is not DWR coated, the waterproofing comes from the construction of the material. They are very expensive though.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    ken newlan wrote:
    Hi all
    Is there ANY cycling jacket which is absolutely waterproof in all conditions?
    Ken :?:

The problem tends to be the large hole through which you insert your head.
  • vulva65
    vulva65 Posts: 118
    ibbo68 wrote:
    It's a ride/push/carry but lots do what you do or set off at dawn and ride down early morning.If you set off at 6am and are relatively fit you'll be on the summit in 2-3 hours and easily back down by 10.

Thanks bud, the 6am start is not a bad shout actually, will be august so will be light by then. Thanks for the advice.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    MrB123 wrote:

errr ... why is there a problem with my arse ?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    fat daddy wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:

errr ... why is there a problem with my ars* ?

No problem at all if it doesn't leak rainwater through it!