Michelin Pro4 Endurance actual size

pfishuk
pfishuk Posts: 20
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
Just wondered if anyone was (or had tried) running these on Giant PR2 rims and could comment on size once fitted. I'm currently running the stock PR3 tyres that came with the bike (Giant defy 0), they've covered 2300 miles this year so far with no trouble but are getting a bit slippy on the recent wet roads.

I have been reading these Michelins come up a bit wider than advertised which may cause me an issue as I have fitted the Giant Speedshield mudguards which are a very close fit with the existing 25C tyres.

Has anyone got a similar setup? if so what do you use for your winter tyres and what size?

thanks

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    pfishuk wrote:
    Just wondered if anyone was (or had tried) running these on Giant PR2 rims and could comment on size once fitted. I'm currently running the stock PR3 tyres that came with the bike (Giant defy 0), they've covered 2300 miles this year so far with no trouble but are getting a bit slippy on the recent wet roads.

I have been reading these Michelins come up a bit wider than advertised which may cause me an issue as I have fitted the Giant Speedshield mudguards which are a very close fit with the existing 25C tyres.

Has anyone got a similar setup? if so what do you use for your winter tyres and what size?

thanks

I asked the same question a few months ago and was told that they come up big, 27mm I think
  • What did you end up going with in the end?
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    The 25mm Pro 4 Service Course come up at 27mm on standard rims, whilst the 23mm are more like 25mm. If the Endurance are the same it sounds like you'd be better getting the 23mm version... assuming your current tyres are true to size of course!
  • 27mm - just measured mine
  • rob39
    rob39 Posts: 479
    Mine are coming up at 28mm but whats a mm. Useless in winter for me on my roads, last 3 rides 3 p's though plenty of hedge cutting going on, putting the Gator's back on.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    pfishuk wrote:
    What did you end up going with in the end?
    Perversely, I got the 28mm version and took the guards off.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    My 2013 model defy came with P-R2 wheels, they are narrow (622x14) compared to what is now available, I'm assuming you have a 2016 model bike and that the wheels are the still the same, you can check the size on the rim decal.

I used a 25c Giant PSLR-2 on the front wheel and a 25c Panaracer Race D Evo 2 four season tyre on the rear wheel, with the original first generation Defy specific mudguards, not the SpeedShield you have. I did have to slot the hole in the front mudguard mounting bracket to achieve the maximum vertical clearance to the underside of the brake caliper, I doubt a 28c tyre would fit with sufficient clearance to be safe on my set up. Might be different with the SpeedShield mudguards, which Giant claim will fit 23-28mm tyres.

Consider the 26c Panaracer Gravelking tyres as an alternative. Also Shimano 5800 105 brake calipers where designed for use with 28c tyres, without mudguards, if you where to fit a set of those and slot the mounting bracket holes on your mudguards you may be able to increase the clearance between the guards and tyres, more of an issue with the front guard and fork IMO.
  • Good idea on the Panaracer tyres - still slipping all over the shop this morning so will look at getting one for the rear for the weekend.

cheers