Gloves for the daily commute up to £30, nothing too bulky

russboy
russboy Posts: 436
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

So the market for gloves is a minefield by the looks of it & I keep buying what I think are ok in the pics, then they turn up & they are so bulky you can hardly feel the bars, brakes etc.

So any personal recommendations?

Fed up of spending £10 after £10 only to get rubbish, need some quality, hoping £30 might be enough to keep my fingers warm in the morning!!

Comments

• crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    edited November 2016
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/skytec-argon- ... oClFHw_wcB

I know you are put off by something cheap but these are definitely worth a shot. I've been using them as winter gloves for a couple of years and find them hard to fault. Warm, waterproof and good dexterity. I've had gloves from Endura, Chiba and Altura at several times the price and these are better in every way.

Edit: as an illustration of the dexterity, I managed to repair a puncture last week while wearing them.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I like the Endura Dexters as they are windproof and work very well but are not bulky...I can get stuff out of my back pockets and unwrap.

The waterproof version are proper winter gloves and can be worn in heavy cold rain...but I haven't worn them too much because the Dexters are much more versatile, are less bulky and don't take long to dry when washed in the machine.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Endura Deluge.
  • I recommend Sealskinz. I don't have mine here, so not sure which one of the All Weather XP or Dragon Eye that I have, but they're good. Not too bulky, keep me dry and warm enough. Not total wind protection, but more than good enough.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Planet X ones and then some silk liners
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    coriordan wrote:
    Planet X ones and then some silk liners

Silk liners will make a massive difference. Will allow you to be comfortable for another 5 degrees or so. Cost around a fiver and you can then wear your gloves without them on the (hopefully) warmer journey home.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have these ones and as you say - only a 5er

http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/Manbi-Silk ... Gwod-AcPng
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I bought these from CRC a while back for £21 - if you can find them anywhere, I heartily recommend them, snug, not bulky, but keeps you warm, but not too warm - for me, the Alpha Jersey of the glove world.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/311719214173?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=aud-133395220866%3Apla-142405551666&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=9046123&device=c&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0

$_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Oh and they seem to wear\wash very well.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    SheffSimon wrote:

I have these and they've done me proud for the last few weeks but on the colder days they aren't so good. Will be in hibernation in a week or so.
  • Assos early winter are good for me. I wear them with wool liners.

You can find them for around £30.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Up until the last few weeks I've been in wooly gloves from Prendas.

Then moved to my failproof Aldi specials. About a fiver and good down to icy temps. If they can cope with three hours they should be fine for the commute. A bit bulkier than the wool - but you need the warmth and still able to work my STI's.

Think they were about a fiver.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Assos early winter are good for me. I wear them with wool liners.

I can only find assos early winter gloves for £50. Where did you pick them up for £30? I'm in the hunt for autumnal / spring gloves. I have gloves that work well under 5 degrees, so between 5 and 12 degrees.

My current pair have a serious honk despite washing extremely frequently.

I will absolutely wear them in the rain, so just some fabric knitted ones won't do the job.
  • http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/poc- ... prod146755

Very low bulk, great for all but the coldest days for me. No padding on the palm, but that's how I prefer it.

EEM
  • Assos early winter are good for me. I wear them with wool liners.

I can only find assos early winter gloves for £50. Where did you pick them up for £30? I'm in the hunt for autumnal / spring gloves. I have gloves that work well under 5 degrees, so between 5 and 12 degrees.

I will absolutely wear them in the rain, so just some fabric knitted ones won't do the job.

I got mine on the assos factory outlet quite some time ago. I've just looked and it seems they've sold out of most sizes now though. Apologies.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Assos early winter are good for me. I wear them with wool liners.

Defeet woolen gloves are perfect for spring and autumn. I've, also, done 2 winters worth of commuting in them and longer rides like London Brighton, rain or shine. I'm a big fan. Something else is needed for below freezing, though.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    I recommend neoprene gloves like Endura FS260, just within your budget. I've been using them this year and so far so good.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    earth wrote:
    I recommend neoprene gloves like Endura FS260, just within your budget. I've been using them this year and so far so good.

I think the Giordanas I mentioned up above are neoprene, sadly seem to be a bit scarce now.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • All about the liners!

These - http://galibier.cc/product/roubaix-vision-iii-gloves/
    Plus these for me - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/300-silk-winter-cycling-glove-liners-id_8014962.html

Then you have a mid season pair too.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Last couple of years I've been using some Decathlon neoprene with some merino liners inside - your hands do get a bit sweaty in them and you have to peel them off but they are warm, not at all bulky and relatively cheap. Best combo I've found since my ancient Assos gloves fell to bits. Not sure where I've put them though so may try the Scewfix option above though the cuffs could do with being a touch longer.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • They're £34.99 but they're brilliant - Castelli Diluvio - exceedingly warm in the colder weather!
  • russboy
    Tried the screwfix option, only used them this morning, but they are a bit small for me being only one size available, not really that cold this morning to see how good they are in the cold.

Will have a nose at some of the other suggestions as well.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Russboy wrote:
    Tried the screwfix option, only used them this morning, but they are a bit small for me being only one size available, not really that cold this morning to see how good they are in the cold.

Will have a nose at some of the other suggestions as well.

They do large and XL - what size did you get ? I do sometimes find the fingers on work gloves - particularly gardening gloves - are too short so I was hoping the XL would do the job here.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • russboy
    Doesn't seem to be a size on mine, unless number 9 is it?

I have found that they don't dry out easily after cycling home in a monsoon last night!!