Do you wear gloves?

the_hawk
the_hawk Posts: 7
edited February 2017 in Commuting general
Hi guys,
Our start-up is trying to develop a new product for commuters, however we would like to see what's the intrest in it first would you be so kind as to answer the following survey?

https://goo.gl/forms/vvqYuT8YjNAWJFn12

PS- I know there was a poll thread about glove wearing back in 2010, but we would like to have some more recent info.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    the_hawk wrote:
    Hi guys,
    Our start-up is trying to develop a new product for commuters, however we would like to see what's the intrest in it first would you be so kind as to answer the following survey?

PS- I know there was a poll thread about glove wearing back in 2010, but we would like to have some more recent info.

Unless people live close to Chernobyl of Fukushima they'll still have the same number of digits on each hand, so I think the 2010 info may still be useful...

I'm not a commuter so I won't comment any further
  • keef66 wrote:
    the_hawk wrote:
    Hi guys,

Unless people live close to Chernobyl of Fukushima they'll still have the same number of digits on each hand, so I think the 2010 info may still be useful...

I'm not a commuter so I won't comment any further

Hello keef66, we are taking this information into accout. However the survey also explores another possible product,and it is not limited to "Do you wear gloves: Yes/No" as the 2010 poll, but thank you for your input
  • Is the product a heart rate monitor built in to the handlebars like in a gym, so it only works if you don't wear gloves?
  • Is the product a heart rate monitor built in to the handlebars like in a gym, so it only works if you don't wear gloves?
    Yes it's a pair of grips, made with special rubber, not 2 aluminum parts.
    We are doing the testing with short fingered gloves now, to see if the accuracy is any good,
    without gloves we are sure it is very good.
    Thank you for your intrest and answer :)
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    once you have made them ... can you make a road surface ... and an MTB trail surface that has a glove like covering with about 5mm of gell under it, so when I crash or fall of I don't remove the skin from my hand

oh and make some warm wind, and rain so in unpleasant weather I don't freeze to death.

ooooh AND if you can make some cloths that attach to the back of your hand that you can use to wipe mud and water off of your glasses when riding that would be good.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Do I wear gloves? Yes for EVERY ride (apart form the 2 mile dawdle into town and back on the town hack bike which I wouldn't put an HRM on anway).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Do I wear gloves? Yes for EVERY ride (apart form the 2 mile dawdle into town and back on the town hack bike which I wouldn't put an HRM on anway).
    Thank you very much for your input
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    OK, I'm not a commuter but a leisure rider. I ride for pleasure and fitness, both physical and mental.
    I wear gloves every ride. From fingerless mitts in summer to properly insulated, windproof, water resistant in the depths of winter, and a couple of in between pairs. I generally also wear a HRM strap so my Garmin can record what happened and I can keep an eye on heart rate. Occasionally I'll get fully togged up and find I've forgotten to put on the HRM. In those circumstances I just say sod it, and go without it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I simply cannot see any advantage whatsoever of having an HRM built into your handlebars for outside cycling

Why have you come up with this idea? HRMs are already cheap anyway. Gloves are essential to some people.

Who would buy this?
  • A better version for the gym might be an idea. For the road, with optical HRMs getting better, it seems like this is unlikely to find a market. It can't get a reading all the time (even if wearing fingerless gloves, my fingers are not going to be on the handlebars all the time).
  • coriordan wrote:
    I simply cannot see any advantage whatsoever of having an HRM built into your handlebars for outside cycling

Why have you come up with this idea? HRMs are already cheap anyway. Gloves are essential to some people.

Who would buy this?

This x100 .
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Huh?

Would you stop wearing gloves on commute if you were able to accurately measure your heart rate just by holding the handle bar as you normally do? *

Why t f would I want to measure my heart rate, especially on a commute?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • As a commuter in England it is too cold most of the time to not wear gloves...
  • As a commuter in England it is too cold most of the time to not wear gloves...

I didn't wear any last night, and was back in fingerless gloves this morning.

But I thought about this idea, and was conscious of the fact that most of the time it is only the palm that is in contact with the bars. If you want HR, you probably want it to record all the time.

Why not build it into the gloves if you want something that doesn't go on the chest or arm/wrist?
  • Hello gyus,
    Thank you for your input and opinions.
    To answer some of the questions, we built the prototype for another purpose,which went well, and this is the "alpha" market reserch stage.
    As for the idea about putting the HRM inside the glove, that won't be possible with the tecnology we are using.
    The reasons to want to measure your HR during the commute, for some people the commute is an oportunity to exercise.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Why would you not just wear a HRM strap which can be bought for about 30 quid and measured on a smartphone if bluetooth. Furthermore, there are also optical HR sensors - polar watches, fitbit etc.

As noted - most people wear gloves for commuting because 1) its cold and 2) you are more susceptible to coming off so its good protection for your hands.

So I ask again:

What made you come up with this idea, what problem have you encountered that you are trying to solve? Noone in their right mind would pay for this - especially as the faff to change your handlebars is definitely not worth it given the more simple solutions.
  • geomickb
    geomickb Posts: 147
    +1 rubbish idea. I feel naked without gloves and don't care what my heart-rate is doing.
  • geomickb wrote:
    +1 rubbish idea. I feel naked without gloves and don't care what my heart-rate is doing.

To be fair, you aren't everyone.
  • Hello again guys, thank you all for the sugestions and ranting, but mostly of all the responses to the survey :)
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    I've responded to the survey, and I don't wear gloves except when it's cold in the middle of winter, and I am interested in my heart rate on my commute as I do use it as an exercise opportunity - sounds like I may be the person you're targeting the product at!
    A high proportion of people use a road bike on their commute, so will the HR-reading-device be built in to all parts of the bars, including drops and hoods? It seems that most HR monitor users like to link it with things like Strava for post-ride analysis so it needs to be recording/transmitting HR data throughout all the ride (not like in the gym where you hold the special handle on the treadmill for a few seconds to get an instantaneous reading).
  • Slightly more portable, but not a chest strap - http://www.scosche.com/rhythm-plus-hear ... or-armband
  • drshoe
    drshoe Posts: 27
    Always wear gloves - major part due to not wanting to scrape my skin if I fell off the bike.

Also, your survey says >18 years when it means <18, sorry, couldn't keep it to myself. :roll:
  • I wear gloves on my flat bar bikes, both the old mtb/workhorse/commute bike and the newer full suspension one, since the grips tend to be abrasive where as the CX with its drop bars is comfortable with out.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    -3C yesterday and tomorrow, gloves? yes!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    You don't ask why people wear gloves.

I don't wear them for comfort, I wear them for protection if I fall off.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • geomickb
    geomickb wrote:

What is fair about that?

I know but I am allowed an opinion.
  • geomickb wrote:
    geomickb wrote:

What is fair about that?

I know but I am allowed an opinion.

You not wanting it doesn't necessarily make it a rubbish idea. That is what is fair about that.

Unless your two sentences were unrelated.
  • geomickb
    Well in my opinion it's a rubbish idea and anyone who doesn't wear gloves is an idiot.

Am I allowed to say that? Is that fair?
  • geomickb wrote:
    Well in my opinion it's a rubbish idea and anyone who doesn't wear gloves is an idiot.

Am I allowed to say that? Is that fair?

You can say anything you want.

I'm struggling to find the controversial bit in pointing out that not everyone is the same.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    You can wear a hrm strap.
    You can get a watch which reads it through your skin
    You can get headphones that measure in your ear
    You csn even get helmets with hrm in them

Market is saturated. Missed the boat with this one.