Chain climbing out of rear derailleur bottom jockey wheel

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited November 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi..
I've grabbed a second hand m670 10spd slx rear derailleur to complete my 10 spd conversion and have noticed during a cleaning session that the chain is trying to climb out off the jockey wheel.

The chain is clean and new, the jockey wheel seems to run free, so thinking hanger alignment or bent Rd.
Anything else that I need to consider and check?

How would one check for a bent Rd?

Ta
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Using a checking device, or just look at it.

Can happen if the jockey wheel bearing is shot as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • wolfsbane2k
    edited November 2016
    Just had the hanger checked out, all ok.
    Derailleur definitely the cause :-(
    Which means second hand, lightly used wasn't right.:-+
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    How did you join the chain after sizing it. Could be a stiff link.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • wolfsbane2k
    cooldad wrote:
    How did you join the chain after sizing it. Could be a stiff link.

Thanks, I thought of that but it happens far to regularly for that. Looking down the chain line you can see a kink in the chain, and that the upright chain isn't aligned with the chain line (thanks for that info halfords), so it's it's definitely the rd.
    Going to have to reduce the gears I use for a while until I can find another, which isn't too much of a problem.
  • Usually it's when the lower half of the mech is slightly twisted, if your careful you may be able to twist it back by hand
  • wolfsbane2k
    Usually it's when the lower half of the mech is slightly twisted, if your careful you may be able to twist it back by hand
    Tried that, but couldn't get it right. Back to for sale forum/pink bike/eBay I go...