SRAM groupsets

BarleyPointer
BarleyPointer Posts: 45
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
Does anywhere actually stock and sell SRAM Force22?

It seems to be in very short supply and not stocked anywhere that I can find. Am I missing something?

I'm looking for either Force 22 or Ultegra to build up a new (Canyon) bike. Added to which the bottom bracket options are a pain too. Why do they make it so complicated lol!

Comments

• Added to which the bottom bracket options are a pain too. Why do they make it so complicated lol!

You'll probably need a SRAM or shimano GXP BB, why is that a pain?

Force over Ultegra every day of the year
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Added to which the bottom bracket options are a pain too. Why do they make it so complicated lol!

You'll probably need a SRAM or shimano GXP BB, why is that a pain?

Force over Ultegra every day of the year

Agree completely re Force over Ultegra. I'd even say Rival over Ultegra for function but Ultegra is nicer to look at - not as nice as Force though ....
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I run rival on my winter bike but you'd really put over ultegra?
  • Matthewfalle
    Stueys wrote:

Yup - have Rival on Spring/autumn bike, Ultegra on summer fast trainer - I like the smaller Rival hoods (size and shape) and the snappier more direct shifting.

I got the Ultegra for nothing so not complaining about it - it does everything on the box perfectly at a good price it's just (imo) not as nice to use.

Same as Red vs DA - same things apply.

But hey, one mans meat is another man's poison.......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    mfin wrote:

I've used Fudge's for SRAM groupsets before, and have been cheapest around on occasion. All good buying experiences. However, they don't seem to have the Force 22 fd in stock, not sure how long would take to order?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Stueys wrote:

Yup - have Rival on Spring/autumn bike, Ultegra on summer fast trainer - I like the smaller Rival hoods (size and shape) and the snappier more direct shifting.

I got the Ultegra for nothing so not complaining about it - it does everything on the box perfectly at a good price it's just (imo) not as nice to use.

Snappier rear shifting I hear you, i quite like the sram snap. But front shifting on sram (on anything other than red) lags shimano I think. Double tap in winter gloves is always a bonus.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited November 2016
    Now they have the same style yaw front derailleur the front shifting on SRAM Rival/Force/Red is equal IME.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Stueys wrote:
    Stueys wrote:

Snappier rear shifting I hear you, i quite like the sram snap. But front shifting on sram (on anything other than red) lags shimano I think. Double tap in winter gloves is always a bonus.

Agreed, the snappy shift to the small ring is definitely something that takes a bit of getting used to. In general though SRAM is my groupset of choice.
    Can't believe no one has been on from the Campagnolo fan club yet. For the record (see what I did there) I also have a Campagnolo equipped bike and it is pretty slick albeit I'm not a huge fan of thumb shifters.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Matthewfalle
    Glancing at this thread now, I'm actually quite happy that the Ultegra bike is off the road with a flat and I have to use the Rival bike tomorrow :)

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Luv2ride wrote:
    mfin wrote:

I've used Fudge's for SRAM groupsets before, and have been cheapest around on occasion. All good buying experiences. However, they don't seem to have the Force 22 fd in stock, not sure how long would take to order?

Ummm... I'd just call them and ask how long it would take to order or order that bit from somewhere else.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I have Force 22 on the my main bike and a combination of Force derailleurs with Rival 22 shifters on my winter bike. There really isn't much difference between them.

Re the FD, you can get by with an old 10 speed front or rear derailleur with SRAM 22 as they are backwards and forwards compatible. If you're really desperate, I have an unused Force 22 FD that was bought as a spare.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Many thanks for all the feedback.

I'm set to try the Force groupset, and have been sourcing parts from all over. I'm just surprised its not more widely available.