Negative rise stem

Matthewfalle
Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
Evening all

I'm after a stem with a decent negative rise - something like the Sworks CLP that has a decent drop (up to 12 degrees).

Apart from the CLP has anyone any suggestions - happy to spend around around £40, Ali preferred just because it's going on an Ali Soloist with Newtons, so it'll match the look.

Also, has anyone used a CLP and any opinions?

Many thanks in advance

M
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    How about the Specialized Comp Multi Stem

This one has a max 24deg rise or fall but with the shims supplied you can vary the rise and fall in 2deg increments if necessary

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... d-EV163248

They also do a 12deg version if that would suit better

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Specia ... lsrc=aw.ds
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Thomson x2? Available in 10 deg. Failing that, a nice stem with a big drop is the 3t ARX II, which is 17 deg.

To be honest, I have tried quite a few stems and couldn't really detect any difference whatsoever so pick one you like the look of and don't pay too much.
  • The X2 also comes in 17 degree, which gives a horizontal stem - parallel to the ground which matches a horizontal top tube nicely.
  • Matthewfalle
    Cheers guys - thank you very much.

As above, it's going on a Soloist that with a normal stem has the 'bars higher than on the rest of my bikes, so I need a tad of negativity about it.

Thinking SWorks or Spesh as above: problem seems to be finding a 110mm - loads of 100 and 120 in black...........

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Do a search for- kalloy uno 7- stem, bought a -17 deg for about £25 and that was delivered from the Far East.
  • Matthewfalle
    6wheels wrote:
    Do a search for- kalloy uno 7- stem, bought a -17 deg for about £25 and that was delivered from the Far East.

Good call dude - Ta muchly.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    zipp sprint sl stem. -12 on the button and is very nice looking as well as incredibly stiff.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    philbar72 wrote:
    zipp sprint sl stem. -12 on the button and is very nice looking as well as incredibly stiff.

I am never sure what people mean when they say things like this about stems. Most of my stems are a 100mm lump of aluminium alloy. I have never been able to get them to detectably flex, even when doing head down max out thrashes on the turbo. Either this must be because of my climber's physique (or puny body, delete as applicable) or I must be lucky with the stems I have, even the quills from 30 years ago.

i cannot see me ever dropping £150 on a stem when a £20 stem seems to do everything the same, afaik. Anyone had a difference experience or is this one of those "If you have the cash and want to spend it then it doesn't matter" things?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I'm just using it as a comparison to my outgoing 3t -17 and -6 degree stem. perception is a big thing. it probably isn't stiffer but it does look and go well, if that makes sense... also I had a windfall and wanted to update the bikes I run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    I am never sure what people mean when they say things like this about stems.
    I agree with you on that. I did have a stem that creaked, but that was becasue of a poor 2 bolt fixing for the face plate. It wouldn't creak if the bolts were so tight you worried about shearing the heads off. I stick to 4 bolt stems now.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Fizik make a -20. Cyrano R3
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo