Garmin Edge recent updates...

vinnymarsden
vinnymarsden Posts: 560
edited November 2016 in Road general
Anyone having issues since the last 2 updates??
I sent back an 820 as it developed some really quirky faults, and now , after replacing with the 1000 and updating to the latest v11 the ambient light issue is still there...it simply doesn't work!
One user advised Garmin forums...no answer there at all..am I missing something in the settings?
Anyone got v11 and their ambient light works, I would be interested if I'm doing something simple, wrong!!
I thought I was tech savvy, but its kinda got me beat!!

Cheers

Vinny

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    What exactly is the issue you're having?
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    I've learned with Garmin to never update the firmware unless either something is wrong or your desperately need the new functionality. They almost always introduce more new bugs than they fix.

Have you tried re-installing an older version of the firmware? http://www.gawisp.com/perry/edge/
  • One user advised Garmin forums...no answer there at all..

Did you actually ask or just look? I see no recent posts (less than 6 months old) regarding ambient light in the Edge 1000 subforum there...
  • Flasher wrote:

"ambient light issues"
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • I think the issue as Flash points out is quite straightforward... the ambient light doesn't work.
    I didn't ask on the forum,as previous use of it appears that Garmin don't act that quickly. As regards the look to see if I asked ? I asked here, I find overall that BF members have generally got an answer as good as the "official" forums.
  • Sorry it was seconds who pointed out the issue.
    Cheers mate.
  • The point is that the Garmin forums are primarily a user to user community (where a lot more people with the device in hand who may have seen or solved your issue can answer - unless you don't ask of course).

If you want an answer direct from Garmin, call them on their free phone number (it'll be along the lines of update all your software, perform a soft reset, perform a hard reset because their help desk script is (politely) mince)
  • flasher
    Flasher wrote:

"ambient light issues"

Yeah, I get that, however ambient light is the natural source of light, what I'm guessing the issue is is no backlight?
  • The ambient light is meant to trigger the backlight when you go into a darker area , like s tunnel or very shaded place. It's simple , and overall not really important but it isn't working o my new 1000 but as it didn't work on the 820 I returned also, I'm thinking I'm missing something in set up.
    I have the auto brightness set etc, maybe I need to do a reset
  • flasher
    I think the problem is that you're looking for a function that doesn't exist. If you go into a tunnel you touch the screen to activate the backlight, you can set up the backlight to stay on for a preset amount of time i.e. Stays On, 15 secs, 30 secs, 1 min, 2 min. This is from the instructions.
    Using the Backlight
    At any time, you can select anywhere on the screen to turn on the backlight.
    1 From the home screen, select the status bar at the top of the page.
    2 Select Brightness to adjust the backlight brightness and timeout:
    • To manually adjust the brightness, select - and + .
    • To automatically adjust the brightness based on the
    ambient light, select Auto Brightness.
    • To adjust the timeout, select Backlight Timeout and
    select an option.
  • flasher
    I see that DC Rainmaker mentions the auto backlight feature, but can find nothing else that mentions it.
  • Trust me Flasher..it does what I am saying... I had a 1000 got rid of it... and it worked just as im saying....
  • clogg
    clogg Posts: 70
    Go to Settings > scroll down to> System > Display > turn on Auto Brightness and also set Color Mode to auto. Working fine today on my 1000 unit with latest updates.
  • flasher
    Ok, apparently what you need to do is set the backlight to be permanently on, and auto brightness on, the display will then vary dependent on the ambient light. The problem with this is that it runs the battery down very quickly.

I'm guessing that in earlier firmware versions the backlight was set to on, but this has changed with later firmware updates.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    Flasher wrote:
    Ok, apparently what you need to do is set the backlight to be permanently on, and auto brightness on, the display will then vary dependent on the ambient light. The problem with this is that it runs the battery down very quickly.

I'm guessing that in earlier firmware versions the backlight was set to on, but this has changed with later firmware updates.
    Backlight at 10% should last a fair old while.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • clogg
    clogg Posts: 70
    If you also change the color mode to auto it will flip display very low light conditions to white on black, easier to see and less draining on battery. I've got 11 hours out of mine.
  • I think Flasher has it right re 'ambient light'. On Garmin updates generally, they do tend to cause random issues - recent updates (edge 1000) have screwed up connection with the phone and reset various settings. All fixable, though the phone one took a while ... but annoying.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.