Scurra :2 - unique enduro bike webpage and coming soon page!

ProjectScurra
ProjectScurra Posts: 4
edited December 2016 in MTB general
Hello,

we are back with some good news for our Scurra :2 fans! We created a brand new website, where you can find everything you would like to know about our product.

http://designment.cc/SCURRA2/

We are starting a crowdfunding campaign soon. Our coming soon page was created on the crowdfunding portal Indiegogo so if you are interested, just type in your e-mail adress and we will let you know when the campaign starts.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/scurra-2-unique-enduro-bike-europe/coming_soon

Best regards,
Team Scurra

Scurra2_Enduro.jpg

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I don't understand what the advantages are over a normal set up. I see disadvantages such as non standard parts, complex linkages, limited steering, too much suspension for a 29er. I don't really understand the advantage.
    Your website mentions reduced suspension lag, not a problem anyone has ever mentioned. Kind of suggests reduced damping to me. What's the difference in phase angle compared to a standard high quality set up? Is it constant at all shock input amplitudes or does it vary? What's the advantage of reduced lag? As a car suspension designer I'm not entirely sure there is one.
    This isn't a new suspension set up. Whyte did it at least 15 years ago and it didn't take off. BMW used to put it on motorcycles with limited success.
    Do you think there's a reason why 29ers don't currently have 7" forks?
  • neilus
    neilus Posts: 245
    To have a review section saying "don’t take our word. See what experts say about the SCURRA 2" then followed by "We were left positively baffled as to what was going on with this intriguing linkage-driven suspension bike, which has two shocks centred in the frame" makes you look ridiculous.
    You do know what "baffled" means, right?
    You're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. People are out there on their Giants, YTs, Specializeds etc... and theyre having a blast because 90% of them are incredibly well designed and spec'd with components that perform well.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I love the quotes from the reviewers of various magazines.

You do realise not one of those quotes actually positively reviews the product? i.e. "Wow this was a revelation, this is how all bikes should be". A quote like that would be more worth while.

The video is shockingly poor, it doesn't show the benefits of this new design at all and I noticed he pushed up that pathetic hill, is that because it climbs poorly? Thats the impression I get.

Overall - You're fired.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    That front brake caliper is perfectly positioned to take the brunt of a crash.

The whole thing just looks like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • rockmonkeysc
    It looks like it creates more problems than it solves (although I'm not sure it solves any).
    I really wouldn't want all those linkages to maintain. Limited steering from the dual crown fork could be annoying (difficult to put in cars to transport, not good in tight trails). It looks like it'll be heavy, there's quite a lot of metal in there.
    If you don't like that front end set up you won't be able to just stick on a standard fork, mainly because no one makes a 170mm 29er fork.
    There's good reason why Whyte didn't persevere with this type of set up and no other manufacturer has bothered at all.
    I suspect that the OP won't ever read any of these comments, it's probably just posted on every forum which came up on a Google search.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yep, logged in, posted, logged out. Seagull post, flies over, drops shit and flies off.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    we are back with some good news for our Scurra :2 fans!
    I'd love to know how you have fans already!

People interested maybe?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Baron Greenback
    Baron Greenback Posts: 128
    edited November 2016
    http://www.trelever.com/index_e.html#!/System

The trelever site suggests that this weighs the same as a standard fork. Surprised if that is the case.
  • The Rookie
    Err, the Plus-Minus tab says it weighs the same.

Of course it depends on how you make the comparison, but the main uprights are in CF on their picture frame which will save a fair bit, but if you used the cost on a conventional fork you could probably shed some extra weight.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Err, the Plus-Minus tab says it weighs the same.

Of course it depends on how you make the comparison, but the main uprights are in CF on their picture frame which will save a fair bit, but if you used the cost on a conventional fork you could probably shed some extra weight.

And so it does! No idea what I've done there. Thanks.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I don't understand why their video to promote a long travel enduro bike shows it being ridden slowly down a trail better suited to a light, short travel bike. I could ride that trail faster than that on my road bike.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Looks like something from the '80s, those things that ride like shit by today's standards. Something we post up here occasionally to laugh at how mountain bikes used to be. Looks like the designer is just some guy who saw some old bike pics, thought they looked cool and thought he'd have a go but doesn't understand that "How hard can it be?" is not a design philosophy.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    Like this?
    1053742d1456881862-most-bazaar-rear-suspension-whyte-bike.jpg

Or perhaps this beauty
    bmw-bike-4.jpg

Or how about this one
    87ee27f852ff38d3e36f434623f77c39.jpg

And here's one in it's natural habitat
    7123760425_5561b44b78.jpg
  • The Rookie
    Some things can't be unseen dammit!
  • Angus Young
    Like this?

That first one is a beauty, I'd love to have a go on that with all that suspension going on. I'd love to know how it rides.
  • cooldad
    The Whyte is pretty good, feels weird at first because you don't get normal dive when you brake. Gets a bit sketchy when it gets steep though. Nice XC bike. If it wasn't for the gazillion bearings I'd probably have one.
    I've only ever ridden a Klein with normal forks, but it wasn't their finest hour.
    Kirks don't need suspension, the frame is flexy enough (unfortunately in the wrong direction) until they break.
    As for that BMW, nice cars, good motorcycles, not sure what that POS is.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    cooldad wrote:
    The Whyte is pretty good, feels weird at first because you don't get normal dive when you brake. Gets a bit sketchy when it gets steep though. Nice XC bike. If it wasn't for the gazillion bearings I'd probably have one.
    I've only ever ridden a Klein with normal forks, but it wasn't their finest hour.
    Kirks don't need suspension, the frame is flexy enough (unfortunately in the wrong direction) until they break.
    As for that BMW, nice cars, good motorcycles, not sure what that POS is.

It's a Whyte! Didn't notice that.
  • cooldad
    Jon Whyte is a bit of a suspension boffin. He worked at Benneton when Shumacher was champ.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The rear swing arm on the Whyte could be straight off a first generation quad link Marin.
  • cooldad
    The Rookie wrote:
    The rear swing arm on the Whyte could be straight off a first generation quad link Marin.

Which was also designed by Jon Whyte.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Yes, I knew that!
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    Loving those review quotes, it's like they've given shocking reviews so the guys who have designed this monstrosity have looked at it and gone 'Right, what can we take out of context to make us look brill?'
    Why are the bike guys bigging up a 29" front wheel, the rear is 27.5, have we gone back to 2002 with the Spesh Big Hit?
  • rockmonkeysc
    As an engineer I'm all for new designs as long as they offer a genuine advantage which as far as I can tell, this doesn't.
    Maybe if the OP bothered to come back and answers some questions there would be something positive they could bring up and get some interest from potential buyers.
    As it is, they just have a rather meaningless claim that the suspension reacts faster than any current bike. In what way does it react faster, and why is that good and will I notice? I've never thought my suspension is slow to react.
  • cooldad
    Spam is spam.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    cooldad wrote:
    Spam is spam.

True dat