105 rear derailleur problem

Peakraider
Peakraider Posts: 143
edited November 2016 in Workshop
Help please and thanks!

Since a crash, my 105 rear derailleur will only shift one gear, up or down, at a time. I don't know if the problem is in the shifter and something got too tight, or at the back itself. The shifter clicks and simply stops with one gear shift.

I can't see any visible damage from the crash, beyond some scratching on the shifters, suggesting they hit the deck (I was out cold and don't remember any of the crash -- I came off worse than the bike, I believe.)

Any tips?

Many thanks.

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Sorry to hear of your tumble, had one similar myself a couple of months back. Glad to hear you came off better than your bike!

Anyhow, try removing the inner cable and try the shift mechanism then to see if it frees up. If it works then potentially your problem lies at the derailleur end of things. With the cable detached see if you can push it freely back and forth across the block.

If you can narrow down where the problem is that will help. It sounds like it could be the ratchet within the shifter. Maybe removing the inner cable completely and getting the mechanism working without it will allow you to fit a new inner and get it working again.

Good luck

PP
  • Thanks!