Specialized Diverge - good winter bike?

mxmoorsey
mxmoorsey Posts: 47
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
Need some help!
I broke my right fib in June and now have a plate and 6 screws holding me together. Im after a bike to buy to use on the turbo trainer and through the winter.

I was looking at the 2016 Specialized Diverge sport A1. I have listed my pros and cons, just want to see what everyone else thinks? I had a quick spin on a carbon version earlier today and loved it.

Pros:
On sale at £685 it's good value.
It got an aluminium frame/forks so should be better for winter riding
Mudguard mounts
Clearance for bigger tyres

Cons:
External cable routing
Unsure what these bikes are like at riding on the road as I will be using it mainly on the road.

Currently I have a tarmac but havent ridden since may because of my accident. Before my accident I'd normally try to do rides of 30-60 miles when I head out on normal rides and do sportive/longer distances of 80+ once/twice a month.

Would this bike be a good choice? Should I buy the slightly more expensive elite model?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I am not sure about some of your comments there. You mention:
    "It's got an aluminium frame/forks so should be better for winter riding"...better than what? carbon? I wouldn't agree there as aluminium corrodes whereas carbon doesn't.

"Mudguard mounts", definitely agree that mudguards are important but many in my club ride a normal road bike in the rain but with some kind of mudguard solution, like Raceblade Pros or Raceblade Longs, etc.

"External cable routing". I ride all winter in bikes with external cabling, never been an issue for me and any maintenance is made easier by the accessibility.

"Clearance for bigger tyres", not sure what you are trying to run but I find 25s pretty good. Tyre pressure, brand/model and road reading/sense can make more of a difference. Aim to stay upright and avoid ice like the plague!

Sounds like you are looking for some retail therapy, nothing wrong with that given your off but you may find that on most days (where it isn't lashing down) you plump for the Tarmac anyway...and leave the Diverge on the turbo.

So, bearing all that in mind, have you thought about riding a normal road bike, say a Tarmac ;-)
  • Got an Diverge A1 Sport partly with winter riding in mind and partly with the idea of searching out rougher routes for variety.

For winter road riding I use 28mm GP4000s,and for rougher riding I have a pair of Schwalbe G-Ones,35mm for front and 30mm for rear.Very stable on rough stuff and comfortable.

Cons are that it comes with the usual heavy wheelset and the lower spec aluminum frames don't quite have the clearance for 35mm at the rear (at least without rubbing)

Pros are that it is amazingly versatile,and has very comfortable endurance geometry.

I didn't like the mechanical spyre brakes and replaced them with semi-hydraulic TRP/HYRD.

Really nice do it all bike
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    I am not sure about some of your comments there. You mention:
    "It's got an aluminium frame/forks so should be better for winter riding"...better than what? carbon? I wouldn't agree there as aluminium corrodes whereas carbon doesn't.I have been previously told that it would be better to use a aluminium bike through the winter as they are more robust plus I don't want to put my £2000 + carbon bike through the winter

"Mudguard mounts", definitely agree that mudguards are important but many in my club ride a normal road bike in the rain but with some kind of mudguard solution, like Raceblade Pros or Raceblade Longs, etc.I'm planning on riding in the worst weather so I can get back to fitness - mudguards seem like the most sensible option

"External cable routing". I ride all winter in bikes with external cabling, never been an issue for me and any maintenance is made easier by the accessibility.I thought it may be an issue as they are exposed to the elements

"Clearance for bigger tyres", not sure what you are trying to run but I find 25s pretty good. Tyre pressure, brand/model and road reading/sense can make more of a difference. Aim to stay upright and avoid ice like the plague!

Sounds like you are looking for some retail therapy, nothing wrong with that given your off but you may find that on most days (where it isn't lashing down) you plump for the Tarmac anyway...and leave the Diverge on the turbo.I live in Cambridgeshire (the fens to be exact) and I can't bear the thought of riding my pride and joy through the mud, salt, sh** . It doesn't take 2mins to swap skewers over so not an issue

So, bearing all that in mind, have you thought about riding a normal road bike, say a Tarmac ;-)I just want a second bike to use no matter what the weather, it will always be washed when I get back whatever as I'm like that. I always look after my stuff.
  • To expand on my first answer,I use a cheaper second bike in winter because I don't want to risk my carbon Roubaix on mud and crap.

The Sora groupset should be cheaper to replace if damaged and the external cables are easier to change and lubricate.

The bonus to a Diverge is it's ability to fit larger knobbly tyres if you fancy some off road action.

Obviously if you normally ride a pure race bike you will find the endurance geometry different,however in my case the bike fit for a Roubaix and a Diverge are identical.
  • I'm not sure why people are frightened by carbon and the winter. I'd definitely want carbon or steel for my forks at least. Aluminium is just much harsher.

Disc brakes are probably the biggest difference (along with guard mounts) that you can do for winter.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    2016 Giant Defy 1 with TRP Spires and 105 throughout. Can be had for £799 currently if you are quick as the 2017 stock are in. Excellent clearance for guards/28mm tyres and a lot of bike for the money. My wife has one (bought last Christmas) and a mate has just bought one as a first 'do it all' road bike for all year round riding.

PP
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I use my diverge all year round as it works well on road in the winter and in the summer it works well on smoother off road trails. Mine has hydraulic disc brakes and the roubaix pro 25/28 tyres are fast enough while giving a smooth ride. My previous road bike was a boneshaker with poor rim brakes.