second hand boardman

jdee84
jdee84 Posts: 288
edited November 2016 in MTB buying advice
I'm thinking of making an offer for this bike

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/chri ... 1197464753

As far as i can see it's a boardman team fs 2014/15. I know it's not a great ad in terms of description or pictures but does it look worthwhile?

Comments

• jdee84
    Offer £300... you never know you might get lucky :)

so it wouldn't be worth much more than 300? I was thinking 380 would be my max i could afford for it
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Currently own 2 Boardman MTB's and, personally, I rate them quite highly. This one you're looking at looks in decent condition from the pics and, given it's not that old either, I'd be surprised if the seller lets it go for £300. Spec will be good for the circa £1000 that it was purchased for originally.
  • jdee84 wrote:

so it wouldn't be worth much more than 300? I was thinking 380 would be my max i could afford for it

No idea what it would be worth. Was just saying it'd be worth a try!
    Have a look on that there eBay and see what they are going for currently, and in what condition, to give you an idea, but he's asking 480 if i remember rightly, and you could try and bang that down a bit.
  • jdee84
    jdee84 wrote:

No idea what it would be worth. Was just saying it'd be worth a try!
    Have a look on that there eBay and see what they are going for currently, and in what condition, to give you an idea, but he's asking 480 if i remember rightly, and you could try and bang that down a bit.

I think it was around 750 originally if i m looking at the same one on halfords its a team fs 650b from 2014/15 I think i ll ask if they ll consider offers around 350
  • jdee84
    I offered 350 but they said 400. Went and got it today and got given a tenner back after handing over the 400. First mountain bike can't wait to get a chance to use it
  • wmorgs
    wmorgs Posts: 113
    Nice buy at that price dude :}
  • jdee84
    thanks! can't wait til the weekend to take it somewhere to try it out
  • Nice buy!
    Never know if you can get it cheaper unless you ask! :)
  • jdee84
    yeah don't ask you don't get as they say! since it's my first mtb think i ll see about getting it serviced this week before taking it out proper
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If those Gumtree photos are of the bike as it is now I wouldn't bother with a service. It looks as if it has hardly been ridden.
    Just give it a check over to make sure all the fastenings are tight and then go and have a blast.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • jdee84
    JBA wrote:
    If those Gumtree photos are of the bike as it is now I wouldn't bother with a service. It looks as if it has hardly been ridden.
    Just give it a check over to make sure all the fastenings are tight and then go and have a blast.

It looks in great condition i was just thinking as it's my first mountain bike i d be best leaving it in somewhere to have the forks and shock checked or is this something that easy enough done? there seems to be a small red rubber ring that moves up and down the rear shock arm is this normal?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yep, that's for adjusting the sag - start with it next to the shock body and it will show how much sag when you sit on the bike. There should be one on one of the fork stanchions as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Fork and shock service will cost you £150+, a large chunk of the cost of the bike.

Easy job to DIY if you do it systematically, and parts will only cost around the £35 mark for new seals.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jdee84
    cooldad wrote:
    Yep, that's for adjusting the sag - start with it next to the shock body and it will show how much sag when you sit on the bike. There should be one on one of the fork stanchions as well.

Thanks so many noob questions! I'll give that a go tonight! going to try and make the wheels tubeless as well with some of that tesa tape stuff from ebay