Cyclists you wish you had been around to see

2»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,602
    Jan Janssen's Tour win sounds worth living through too. If you're a Dutchie anyway.

Silk tyres!!!!!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    That stage in 2009 was a final piece of moustache-twirling from Lance - it was HRC that really drove that particular one and Armstrong simply had the nous to get into the right place (and then use it to make Contador uncomfortable). Great stage though.
    I don't think that Hillary Rodham Clinton was responsible for that - unless it was from an unknown e-mail account.

HTC on the other hand. Blame Mick Rogers, the echelon king.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    That stage in 2009 was a final piece of moustache-twirling from Lance - it was HRC that really drove that particular one and Armstrong simply had the nous to get into the right place (and then use it to make Contador uncomfortable). Great stage though.
    I don't think that Hillary Rodham Clinton was responsible for that - unless it was from an unknown e-mail account.

HTC on the other hand. Blame Mick Rogers, the echelon king.

Ha! Could have been worse - I'm sure I remember at least one pundit occasionally calling them HRT...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,602
    Freddy Maertens sounds good fun.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Well I was around to see at least some of Hinault, Fignon etc. But coverage was sparse, to say the least. I'd like to revisit that with modern coverage.

Other than that, Merckx and Bartali.
    Hinault, Fignon but please don't forget the Swiss rider Urs Zimmerman who kept those two awake until they disposed of him to finish third overall.

Gino Bartali, Hugo Koblet, Felice Gimondi for the OP.
    As a teenager, I watched Fausto Coppi ride an omnium at Herne Hill Track.
    In the 1990's while waiting for the mid stage sprint of a Tour de Suisse stage and leaning on a wall watching Ferdi Kubler signing his books. He suddenly got up and came over to ask me who I was. I told him that as a youngster I was a fan of his in hs prime, along with Fausto and the third member of that "gang" Raphaël Géminiani.
    At the mention of the Gem, Ferdi was off into many Reminiscences from the past of the Trio and the fateful trip to Africa where Fausto caught Malaria.

So you lucky Lads & Lasses with plans to see some more Pro Tour racing. These will become just your own memories and finally of little interest to others.

So keep ticking the boxes and enjoying the cycle racing. :wink:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    deejay wrote:
    Well I was around to see at least some of Hinault, Fignon etc. But coverage was sparse, to say the least. I'd like to revisit that with modern coverage.

Other than that, Merckx and Bartali.
    Hinault, Fignon but please don't forget the Swiss rider Urs Zimmerman who kept those two awake until they disposed of him to finish third overall.

Gino Bartali, Hugo Koblet, Felice Gimondi for the OP.
    As a teenager, I watched Fausto Coppi ride an omnium at Herne Hill Track.
    In the 1990's while waiting for the mid stage sprint of a Tour de Suisse stage and leaning on a wall watching Ferdi Kubler signing his books. He suddenly got up and came over to ask me who I was. I told him that as a youngster I was a fan of his in hs prime, along with Fausto and the third member of that "gang" Raphaël Géminiani.
    At the mention of the Gem, Ferdi was off into many Reminiscences from the past of the Trio and the fateful trip to Africa where Fausto caught Malaria.

So you lucky Lads & Lasses with plans to see some more Pro Tour racing. These will become just your own memories and finally of little interest to others.

So keep ticking the boxes and enjoying the cycle racing. :wink:

You do nostalgia so much better than us! I'll never be anywhere as good as I've got a memory like a....a.....a... one of things with holes in for draining stuff.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • I've got a memory like a....a.....a... one of things with holes in for draining stuff.

You mean a mind like a sewer?
  • I've got a memory like a....a.....a... one of things with holes in for draining stuff.

You mean a mind like a sewer?

Drain cover?
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    [quote="phreak"
    If I ever watch that 2003 Tour I still end up cheering Jan in the hope that he'll win.[/quote]

Ditto

I would love to see some footage of Charly Gaul. I'm absolutely fascinated by him.

That and Gerbi's shenanigans in Lombardia.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Timoid. wrote:

I would love to see some footage of Charly Gaul. I'm absolutely fascinated by him.
    There's quite a bit in this, a 50 minute Italian documentary (or maybe contemporary newsreel) about the 1956 Giro, which Gaul won of course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q6QNnP4tzw
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    RichN95 wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

There's quite a bit in this, a 50 minute Italian documentary (or maybe contemporary newsreel) about the 1956 Giro, which Gaul won of course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q6QNnP4tzw

Cool. Thanks.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.