Sole durability on MTB flats

JGTR
JGTR Posts: 1,404
edited November 2016 in MTB general
Hi all

Had my 5:10 impacts for 9 months, had minimal use as been using clips for the summer. The soles ripped so I put some washers under the pins to make them smaller and after riding today they have ripped even more :evil: :evil: basically now ruined, pretty f****d off as £100 down the drain. I have been using Nanos which are a popular pedal??

I like riding flats but am loathed to spend any more money on a new pair of shoes if they are just going to f**k up again :roll: Are all shoe soles (Shimano? Other 5:10 styles?) as soft as the Impacts or are some harder wearing? I'm not interested in skate shoes, had them before and don't like them.

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Me too
  • JGTR
    fat daddy wrote:
    Me too

???? Same problem ??
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Yup ... I have given up on flats now and only ride clips ... fed up of pedals killing ALL my shoes
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    I've been riding my pair of 5:10s for about two years now with very little discernible damage to the soles, so perhaps some pedals or riding styles are worse than others (do you shift/twist your feet a lot when riding ?).

Might be worth trying a repair job with Shoe Goo to extend the life of your soles - I haven't used it yet, but have recently bought some for my work boots, as people swear by it.
  • JGTR
    I do ride with my right foot at a slight angle with more pressure on the front outside of the pedal - been riding for years in various skate shoes and trainers and never had any problems, the 5:10 soles seem to be particularly poor in the durability area, the sole doesn't seem to be bonded to the inner that well. I may speak to 5:10 and see what they say.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Common problem with 5.10 shoes. Super grippy and durability don't go together.
    Shimano flat shoes last a lot better. Or go clipped and they'll last year's.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Never had any 5 10s but have got some of the older shimano am41s which are about 3 years old and are starting to fall apart.

Used them nearly everyday for commuting and weekend rides. The vibram sole has worn very well.

I've used them on a wide variety of pedals, currently used on hope f20s and the grip is still good.

I'm looking at buying some of the newer shimano am7 as replacement once the 41s are worn out.

If the am7s or the am5 were made with goretex type material shimano would be on to a winner for uk riders.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I use cheap trainers and the soles do get damaged but a pair lasts > 1yr. For dry feet I wear socks then plastic bag then socks then trainers. The only point made to me - which I accepted - is to keep the laces tucked away or they could tangle the drive train and I fall off down an hole and end up being magnetised and covered in lava at the centre of the earth. This might damage the bike.

Not promoting this couture but in the same way accept that other approaches work just as well.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    The pins on my Nanos have just split the sole on a pair of Merrells (£90) after about a year and a half of riding. I don't think it's a big deal, just the price you pay if you want to ride flats. Which I do.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • JGTR
    The pins on my Nanos have just split the sole on a pair of Merrells (£90) after about a year and a half of riding. I don't think it's a big deal, just the price you pay if you want to ride flats. Which I do.

£120 pair of FiveTens in 5 months - probably 10 rides max......would you be happy with that?
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    JGTR wrote:

£120 pair of FiveTens in 5 months - probably 10 rides max......would you be happy with that?

Ah, just 10 rides. Yes, I'd be pissed. My Merrels, even though just intended as casual shoes and not for fighting off pins, managed many hundreds of rides in that year and a half.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    I've tried a couple of different MTB flat type shoes inc. 5:10s and Northwave and the durability was inversely proportionate to the grip and comfort.

However I used a pair of Asolo approach shoes that lasted years and currently a pair of Karrimor shoes that were originally £25 from TK Maxx, worn for several years for walking (wearing the sole pattern down nicely). I've "replaced" these and gone back to them so many times and They. Will. Not. Die.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp