Reflectors - what do you use?

tangled_metal
tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
edited November 2016 in Commuting general
Simple question, what reflectors are on your bike?

I thought I have none but I just remembered I had a red one on the rear mudguard. No front or pedal reflectors.

I'm wondering whether I should get some and which ones.

Front reflector could be a simple bolt on one (handlebar space is restricted with everything currently on them). Pedals are the shimano ones with spd one side and flats on the other side. I really don't know how to get reflectors for them.

Hence my question about what you have.

BTW my wheels and rear mudguard all have reflective strips on the side and over the top/rear respectively. They're actually quite effective in car headlights I think. The wheels are at least.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    On the winter bike

Full guards with reflectives down the back and the red reflector.
    Tyres have reflectives on them too and that is effective.

Reflective on the saddle bag.

You could try tape along the edge of the cranks as I suspect theres not much flat on the pedals - but what shoes/overshoes do you have ? Most have a nice big wadge of reflectives there anyway.

Cant see the point in a reflector at the front. You'll have lights. You'll surely have reflectors on your clothes ? You'll also be able to see any hazards coming towards you.

You can get reflective straws for wheels or even better tyreflys that flash on the valves so you're not relying on cars headlights.
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    The evidence suggests that reflectors don't actually improve safety. But, due to the legal requirement, and to prevent the lack of reflectors being used against me in the case of a collision, I have deliberately used orange pedal reflectors and a red rear reflector. I also have reflective sidewall tyres and reflective patches on my panniers and jacket, but only because that's how they are as standard.
  • I've got similar. Reflectives on clothes, mudguards, tyres, pannier, the trainers I cycle in, the overshoes if I'm using them - nightvision ones - and a red reflector on the rear mudguard. The only thing I need to comply with regulations is the front and rear facing amber pedal reflectors.

To fully comply I think my only realistic option is to use normal flat pedals with reflectors. Whilst I use the flat side of my pedals I keep meaning to try SPD pedals sometime. I can't keep changing pedals to suit so need something to allow flats when commuting or cycling casually with my family then SPD use when I eventually get out to ride for myself for purely pleasure not to just get somewhere.

I think SPD pedals, dual sided, can sometimes take reflectors made for them. At least I think I read someone mention them. I doubt they'd work on my Shimano pedals though.

It looks like I'll have to remain close to complying just not 100%.
  • Does anyone know how to make Shimano A530 pedals conform to regulations with the required amber reflectors? I like those pedals but prefer to eliminate any possible issue in the event of an accident/commission.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can't make A530's legal, but you can do is either Amber tape on the crank arms or swap to double sided SPD with a reflector platform clipped on.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fenix
    Has any one ever had any issues with not having reflectors on their pedals? I've never seen a report mentioning it.
  • On my winter bike I have reflective spoke strips (3M), it enables me to be seen from the side especially when on roundabouts. I think they're fantastic.
  • Just found SP-PD61 pedal reflectors from Shimano. They're made specially for the A530 pedals. Might try and get a set. They basically bolt through the pedal with a plate to the inside of the flat side and though to a part of the body of the reflector on the SPD side.
    I think it would be the last thing I need to fully comply with the regulations. That might never become an issue but if these are cheap enough then it's worth considering just in case.
  • I have a version of these https://www.bike24.com/p299182.html on my spokes to improve my side on visibility
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • I have a version of these https://www.bike24.com/p299182.html on my spokes to improve my side on visibility

Yep, similar to mine.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I'm all about the slap wraps. I wear one around each ankle and wrist. Can be bought practically free on ebay.

You can put them on your bike, attach them to your bag etc, easy to remove come the springtime.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Lidl/Aldi spoke reflectors on the front wheel, slap wraps on my ankles and the rear guard has a reflector with some black reflective tape below it. Sportful gillet has a big reflective logo on the back.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Vittoria Hyper Voyager and Randonneur both have reflective strips on the sidewalls, very effective too - obviously there'll be other brands.
    Black 3M tape (reflects white) on my helmet, cut into circles with a paper punch, and symmetrically stuck on the black bits. It's a very fiddly job, and I wouldn't advise unless you are terminally bored
  • Just found SP-PD61 pedal reflectors from Shimano. They're made specially for the A530 pedals. Might try and get a set. They basically bolt through the pedal with a plate to the inside of the flat side and though to a part of the body of the reflector on the SPD side.
    I think it would be the last thing I need to fully comply with the regulations. That might never become an issue but if these are cheap enough then it's worth considering just in case.

I have the reflectors fitted to M534's. Little bit of a faff to fit (needed a quick Dremel to access the cleat tension adjuster) but work OK.

Most of the SPD pedals have a reflector kit available.
  • They're no longer made, can only get from a German website or one UK website for €30 or £45 respectively.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    All visibility is good visibility, but I've never been that convinced that side on visibility is that important. Instinctively I kind of feel that by the time someone's approaching you side-on so they can see the reflectives, they're either not going to hit you anyway or it's too late and they're going to hit you reflectives or not.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Front: reflector on the crown,
    Rear reflector : on the mudguards,pannier rack, on the seat post ( but normally hidden by pannier top bag)
    Pedal reflectors ( SPD Treking - Shimano PD-T400's), but looks like the A530 pack will fit to my decathlon equivilant.
    Side: Sidewall reflective tyres, 3M spokes cover, Mudguard sides

I've also got red SOLAS tape on the sides of each crank arm so they flash once per revolution, and a spot on the top tube that gets covered/uncovered by my legs ( it covered a paint scratch)
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • fenix
    Graeme_S wrote:
    All visibility is good visibility, but I've never been that convinced that side on visibility is that important. Instinctively I kind of feel that by the time someone's approaching you side-on so they can see the reflectives, they're either not going to hit you anyway or it's too late and they're going to hit you reflectives or not.

Tell that to my mate knocked off by a taxi side on.

He had lights but they didnt shine much to the side.

If he'd reflective tyres or more reflective kit - at least something would have shown up.

Its a bit of a no brainer to me - theres no cost in reflectives and no weight penalty - I'm a big fan - but as in daylight - if a dopey driver isnt looking where they are going - well you could be on fire and they'd still not see you. Luckily the vast majority are fairly decent drivers.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Fenix wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Tell that to my mate knocked off by a taxi side on.

He had lights but they didnt shine much to the side.

If he'd reflective tyres or more reflective kit - at least something would have shown up.
    I'm speculating that your mate would have been hit side on regardless of his side-on visibility, and the taxi driver should have been looking sideways to see your mate head on before pulling out (making a load of assumptions about how he was hit).

I have reflective sidewalls on my tyres (which I must say work loads better on a disc bike as they're not permanently covered in crap from the braking track on the rim) I just can't envisage a situation when they would be the difference between being hit and not being hit.
  • fenix
    Impossible to say really - but I'd hope reflectives would stack the odds better.

I have reflective tyres too - saw them on a mates bike as he was at a junction as I drove past too - very reflective - so should put you in good stead in those occasions.

I remember back in the day of crap bike lights - the batteries wouldnt last a ride and you were very exposed from the side. No excuse for that nowadays with the availability of reflective kit and gadgets.
  • geomickb
    geomickb Posts: 147
    I just bought some reflective tape and stick it all over the place; pannier, rack, mudguards.